Jewish Forums

Full Version: Am I Jewish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Wondering if I'm part Jewish. Are there any ways to find out if family doesn't know and what is a Jewish anyway?
Hello catscan and thank you for your question.

What makes you think you may be Jewish?

Is there any history in your family on either side that may be connected to Judaism?

Or is it just a general inquiry?
You really can't be part Jewish, you either are or you are not. It runs through the maternal line. If your mother is Jewish so are you. You would have to do family history research to find out.
searching roots: because of some traits I have, I tried to upload a picture of my face also but it doesn't want to

Chavak: what is the basis of your claim that a person couldn't be part Jewish? From what I learned in biology, the father of a female provided the other x chromosome. I hear a lot of people say they are partJewish
catscan,

A picture really doesn't determine if one id Jewish or not. There are millions of Jews throughout the world of all colors, races and ethnic groups.

As Chava mentioned, you are Jewish if your mother is Jewish.

There are some people that may say you are "part" Jewish if on parent or a grandparent was Jewish but most of, or a large part of Judaism says your mother will determine if you are or not.
People may claim to be part Jewish, but according to Judaism you are Jewish if either your mother is (Reform does accept paternal lineage but that is a different discussion) or if you convert. Genetics really is not a part of it. It's a matter of belonging to a people and a covenant. There is no true Jewish look. I have met people that those who accept a stereo type of what a Jew is would think they are Jewish, but they are not. I met a guy that looked like a California surfer dude-blonde hair, blue eyes, etc-and he was descended from a long line of rabbis. So you really can't judge by appearance. You will need to research your family history. If there is a Chabad near you they might be of some assistance.
To be jewish why the mother has to be jewish and not the father?
(07-26-2022, 02:43 AM)Ismq Wrote: [ -> ]To be jewish why the mother has to be jewish and not the father?

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_c...lineal.htm
Very detailed and explanatory, thanks for the link Chava!
I think that one is jewish is both father and mother is jewish.and that if one have only a father or mother that is jewish one is half-jewish.
Pages: 1 2 3