Jewish Forums

Full Version: How was the Sabbath calculated?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How was the Sabbath calculated to land on Saturday by today's calendar?

How do we know that God did not start creation on a Wednesday by today's calendar?

Thank you.
Presuming that G-d would never have changed the day shabbat fell on, it's easy to determine that shabbat is Saturday by the manna that fell (or didn't fall) during the Exodus. Double manna Friday and none of Saturday would cement the time of shabbat as being on Saturday. Ex. 16:26 "Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day [which is the] Sabbath on it there will be none."

Obviously the Children of Israel would continue to follow shabbat on the same schedule as they did during the Exodus, and presumably since the time of creation.
The reason I am asking this question and the one about working on the Sabbath is because I am dealing with a Christian who believes every Christian should observe the Sabbath on Saturday.

However, he does use his computer on Saturday and probably drives and lights a fire in the fireplace, among other things.

I would like someone's thoughts on this subject.

My personal view is that is makes no difference which day of the week we observe the Sabbath as long as we devote one day per week to God.

"resting" on the Sabbath can mean different things, such as gardening can be restful as it rests the mind, if your daytime job is to think.

Thank you.
(05-02-2019, 04:51 PM)George Wrote: [ -> ]My personal view is that is makes no difference which day of the week we observe the Sabbath as long as we devote one day per week to God.

"resting" on the Sabbath can mean different things, such as gardening can be restful as it rests the mind, if your daytime job is to think.

There is no movement within Judaism, from the most liberal to the most orthodox, that would accept your view as a valid position for a Jew to hold, for a Jew to follow. However, you are not a Jew and you are not subject to Jewish law, Jewish understandings.
(05-02-2019, 04:51 PM)George Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I am asking this question and the one about working on the Sabbath is because I am dealing with a Christian who believes every Christian should observe the Sabbath on Saturday.

However, he does use his computer on Saturday and probably drives and lights a fire in the fireplace, among other things.

You'd have to ask the individual what he means by observing the Sabbath on Saturday.

As the individual is not a Jew, however, he is not bound by Jewish law or Jewish understandings.
(05-02-2019, 05:51 PM)RabbiO Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2019, 04:51 PM)George Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I am asking this question and the one about working on the Sabbath is because I am dealing with a Christian who believes every Christian should observe the Sabbath on Saturday.

You'd have to ask the individual what he means by observing the Sabbath on Saturday.

As the individual is not a Jew, however, he is not bound by Jewish law or Jewish understandings.

I did ask him what was forbidden for him to do on Saturday, but he refused to answer me.

You did bring up an interesting subject when you said:

"As the individual is not a Jew, however, he is not bound by Jewish law or Jewish understandings."

because he claims Gentile Christians should obey Jewish Law.

RabbiO are you a Rabbi?

BTW: He thinks if the New Testament got rid of Paul, Jews would accept Jesus.

I told him no, we would have to get rid of Jesus.

Someone said there is nothing funnier than people and he was right about that.
Yes, I am a rabbi, but I am not an Orthodox rabbi.
(05-02-2019, 06:45 PM)RabbiO Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I am a rabbi, but I am not an Orthodox rabbi.

Thanks, good to know.