Jewish Forums

Full Version: What does being Jewish look like in your daily life?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you would like to share, I would be interested to hear how you implement Jewish practices into your daily life and what it means to you. How do you live your Jewishness?

Do you observe Shabbat, do you do it at home or in a synagogue? Are you active in a community? Do you pray daily? Do you say Modeh ani? Do you actively seek out new information? Do you have a personal connection to your Rabbi? What teachings influence you daily behavior (if so)? Or are you non-observant but still adhere to certain core principles that are important to you? And can you be openly Jewish (such as wearing kipot outdoors) or do you keep your religion very private? (Just examples).

I know there are possibly as many ways of living as there are Jews and I am not searching for a right way or anything, just wondered what being Jewish means to others and am interested in your personal routines and practices (that you are comfortable to share).

Thank you! Smile
Sarah,

Thanks for asking!

Always good to know what other peoples experiences and practices are.

I myself am in a sort of difficult situation. I was brought up secular and my wife isn't Jewish.

So with that said, I do not observe Shabbat the traditional way, but I try to do what I can when I can.

I know many members of different communities but am not part of any one in particular.

Yes, I do pray daily and include the Modeh Ani every morning. It's what gets me going!

I am always seeking out new information by either attending Torah classes, reading books or watching videos.

I would say I have a semi personal connection with my Rabbi.

Many teachings influence my personal behavior. Rabbi Sacks and Rabbi Fohrman's books are of great influence as are many Jewish teachings including Pirkei Avot (Ethics of Our Fathers, with commentary of course!).

I do not wear a kippot all the time but also do not hide my Jewishness.

As you mention, we are all on our own journey's to see what we can do to improve our lives and the lives of others.

We just get there different ways!

Let me know if you have any more questions and hopefully some others here will chime in as well!
I personally relate to the idea of מִצְוָה miṣvâ in the sense of תִּקּוּן עוֹלָם tiqqûn ʿôlām.

Long ago, I realized that my least favorite word in any language is "forbidden" when it is not accompanied by a good rational explanation.

I engage my Jewish identity in (1) pushing for a better world in which to live, (2) providing free education (in Hebrew language) to those who desire it, (3) maintaining this forum and encouraging education in Jewish topics.

I used to identify with my Judaism through outward expression – כִּפָּה kippâ, צִיצִית ṣîṣîṯ, כַּשְׁרוּת kašrûṯ, etc. I now identify through my support of the people of Israel (taxes, social activities, engagement), through educational programs, and through online efforts.

I'm no longer outwardly religious in any sense.
Thank you very much for your interesting answers! 

Quote:I myself am in a sort of difficult situation. I was brought up secular and my wife isn't Jewish.

Did you have to learn everything about Judaism anew after having grown up secular? What piqued your interest in becoming more involved with the religion?

Jason, that is an interesting transition and these are great ways to improve other's lives. I really love the concept of tikkun olam, it is what really spoke to the core of my personal beliefs and had therefore a huge role in my wish to learn more about Judaism.

In general (to everyone who'd like to answer) have you felt / do you feel safe being outwardly religious if you do or did so? Is there anything you avoid due to security considerations? 

I have another question regarding prayers, but I will think that through a bit more and add it later. Smile
Observing Sabbath w/ family and the major holidays, also staying kosher Smile
My Jewish observations in daily practice are confined to furthering my study with the Hebrew language, privately, while seeking out new information. I am more drawn to Traditional Judaism.  After retirement I'll have the time to choose a Jewish community, further my Jewish education, and lend my support financially and service. If all goes as planned,  I can then convert.  For now, I seek out new information. I do not ascribe to the concept of Tikkun Olam, the repair or perfection of the world.  Jewish ethics as written about by Joseph Telushkin are a favorite of mine.
1) Observe Shabbat - at home and at synagogue.
2) I am active in the community.
3) I pray daily.
4) I’m always learning.
5) I’m very close to my rabbi. He stares back at me every time I look in a mirror! *
6) The teachings that influence me are too numerous to list.
7) I am openly Jewish.

* Spoiler Alert - I AM a rabbi.