Jewish Forums

Full Version: The death of Jesus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(06-30-2020, 03:01 PM)George Wrote: [ -> ]SMR, what I am trying to get to is the fact that the Jewish leaders believed Jesus should be put to death and sent Him to the Romans to accomplish that.

That is what the Christian bible claims.

We have no proof that actually happened.
(06-30-2020, 04:47 PM)RabbiO Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2020, 03:01 PM)George Wrote: [ -> ]SMR, what I am trying to get to is the fact that the Jewish leaders believed Jesus should be put to death and sent Him to the Romans to accomplish that.

Please define who and what you mean by “the Jewish leaders”.

The ones in charge of the Senhedren.
(06-30-2020, 04:47 PM)RabbiO Wrote: [ -> ]

Please define who and what you mean by “the Jewish leaders”.

(06-30-2020, 06:48 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: [ -> ]

That is what the Christian bible claims.

We have no proof that actually happened.

Do you have any proof anything actually happened in the Hebrew Scriptures?
(07-01-2020, 07:41 PM)George Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any proof anything actually happened in the Hebrew Scriptures?

Seems like you are changing the subject here George.

By the time Jesus was said to have lived, there were many more people writing about history.

I mentioned before that this seems unlikely. There are loads of zealots and religious teachers wandering around at the time. I doubt Jesus would have been anything special.
There appears to be no claim for the Christian leader Jesus, having existed, apart from the Christian scriptures. (There's a paragraph in Josephus, but that paragraph is generally assumed to be a forgery.) 

The following does not seem to have been discussed on this thread (unless I missed it), but part of anti-Semitism has claimed the Jews killed Jesus, even though it is clear from the Christian scriptures that it was a Roman court (I would describe it as a "kangaroo" court) that was responsible. I believe it would be fair to assume that once the Romans had nationalized Christianity, they could hardly accept that they the Romans, had killed the Christian leader, and so perhaps it was easier for the Romans to have the Jews take the blame !
Pages: 1 2