Jewish Forums

Full Version: Deuteronomy - Chapter 21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Chapter 21:22

"If a man commits a sin for which he is sentenced to death, and he is put to death, you shall [then] hang him on a pole."

Rashi's comment:  you shall [then] hang him on a pole: Our Rabbis said: All who are stoned [by the court] must [afterwards] be hanged, for the verse (23) says,“a hanging [human corpse] is a blasphemy of God.” [Thus, we find that the sin of blasphemy is connected with hanging,] and a blasphemer is punished by stoning. [Consequently, our Rabbis taught that all those stoned must be hanged.]- [San. 45b]

It sounds like a person is put to death AND THEN hung on a pole.

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks.
It says that if someone is stoned for blasphemy, he would then have his body hung up on a pole. It doesn't mean that anyone who was hung on a pole must have been killed before that.
(11-13-2020, 04:36 PM)Jason Wrote: [ -> ]It says that if someone is stoned for blasphemy, he would then have his body hung up on a pole. It doesn't mean that anyone who was hung on a pole must have been killed before that.

Really?  Are you sure? 

For a hanging [human corpse] is a blasphemy of God: Heb. קִלְלַת אלֹהִים. This is a degradation of the [Divine] King in Whose image Man is created, and the Israelites are God’s children. This is comparable to two identical twin brothers. One [of them] became king, while the other was arrested for robbery and hanged. Whoever saw him [the second brother, suspended on the gallows], would say,“The king is hanging!” [Therefore, the king ordered, and they removed him (Reggio ed.).] - [Sanh. 46b] Wherever [the term] קְלָלָה appears in Scripture, it means treating lightly (הָקֵל) and degrading. For example,“[And behold, you have with you Shimei the son of Gera…] and he cursed me with a severe curse (וְהוּא קִלְלַנִי קְלָלָה נִמְרֶצֶת)” (I Kings 2:8). - [See II Sam. 16:5-13]
George,

Why don't you ask what you mean? You gave a quote. I gave you my understanding of the quote that you gave. Then you call it into question. What do you think it means?

Jason
"All who are stoned [by the court] must [afterwards] be hanged..."

If someone is stoned to death, he must be hanged. That's what I said. Then you called it into question. I don't know why you don't just say what you think instead of trying to pull someone along into some way of thinking.

There's a problem with your initial logic, since you are implying that the if statement and then then statement of a conditional can be exchanged.

"If I am sick, I take medication." This does not mean that the same thing as "If I take medication, I am sick." Some people are perfectly healthy and they take medication to maintain their good health.

"If I get rich, I will retire from my job." This doesn't mean the same thing as "If I retire from my job, I will get rich." I might retired from my job because I reached the age of retirement, but I may not have the money that I had hoped to have at that age.

"If someone is stoned, he must be hanged." This doesn't mean the same thing as "If someone is hanged, he was stoned." It also doesn't mean the same thing as "If someone is put to death in any other way, he must be hanged."

I don't know what you're trying to say, and to ask what one text means, receive an answer, cast down, quote another text, and keep moving from fence post to fence post is just frustrating. What are you asking? What do you want to imply by those questions? What are you ultimately trying to get at?
Some years ago I read that some victims were killed and then hung on a tree with a sign over their heads spelling out their crime as a warning to others.

Roman crucifixion was the means of death, but the ones I am referring to died another way and then were impaled.

The verses I cited seemed to confirm this, but I think there were other examples, but don't remember where I read it.