Jewish Forums

Full Version: Please help me translate and interpret
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I'm new to this forum. Looking forward to delving more into Jewish culture, Judaism and Hebrew language. I am part jewish on my mother's side but didn't discover this until my grandmother told me when I was in my twenties.

I have a query about the photo attached. My friend bought me this banner from Israel when he went for a holiday. Can anyone tell my what it says? I understand the twelve squares is a reference to the twelve tribes. I have tried so many translation websites but all I get is nonsense words. By doing my own translation character by character I got "I will get you out of here" which I guess would mean "deliverer" but I could be way off as the embroidery does not show accurate characters.[attachment=49]

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hanging out here more often Smile
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Someone on this forum should be able to help you with your question.

Stay tuned.......................!!
It most likely means "breastplate"

Exodus 28:15-

“Fashion a breastpiece for making decisions—the work of skilled hands. Make it like the ephod: of gold, and of blue, purple and scarlet yarn, and of finely twisted linen. 16 It is to be square—a span[a] long and a span wide—and folded double. 17 Then mount four rows of precious stones on it. The first row shall be carnelian, chrysolite and beryl; 18 the second row shall be turquoise, lapis lazuli and emerald; 19 the third row shall be jacinth, agate and amethyst; 20 the fourth row shall be topaz, onyx and jasper.[b] Mount them in gold filigree settings. 21 There are to be twelve stones, one for each of the names of the sons of Israel, each engraved like a seal with the name of one of the twelve tribes.

Here's the Hebrew - I have put the word "breastplate/breastpiece" in extra large font so it stands out.  Just note that in Exodus 28:15 you see the holem, but in the pic it is written as "vav-holem" (same thing BTW!)

וְעָשִׂ֜יתָ חֹ֤שֶׁן מִשְׁפָּט֙ מַעֲשֵׂ֣ה חֹשֵׁ֔ב כְּמַעֲשֵׂ֥ה אֵפֹ֖ד תַּעֲשֶׂ֑נּוּ זָ֠הָב תְּכֵ֨לֶת וְאַרְגָּמָ֜ן וְתוֹלַ֧עַת שָׁנִ֛י וְשֵׁ֥שׁ מָשְׁזָ֖ר תַּעֲשֶׂ֥ה אֹתֽוֹ׃
Yeah, ח֫וֹשֶׁן ḥốšen just means "breastplate," indicating the breastplate of precious stones that was worn by the high priest in the temple as a representation of the twelve tribes of Israel.
(03-31-2021, 12:57 AM)Jason Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, ח֫וֹשֶׁן ḥốšen just means "breastplate," indicating the breastplate of precious stones that was worn by the high priest in the temple as a representation of the twelve tribes of Israel.

Okay so I was way off lol. Thank you so much this now helps me explain a bit about this conversation piece.