Jewish Forums

Full Version: The Queen You Thought You Knew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If anyone i interested, here is a free download of a chapter from Rabbi Fohrman's book - The Queen You Thought You Knew

Just in time for Purim!

https://mcusercontent.com/d3198e34c7c53d...er_one.pdf
Interesting questions that make me curious what the answers might be. I learned Esther was in the Bible when I was in my twenties, never heard of her as a child.
Yes, Rabbi Forhman always gives you food for thought!
The book is so thick and in English. Have you read it and does Rabbi Forhman answer these questions?
I do have the book, of course! I read it quite some time ago, when it first came out in 2011.

And yes, that is Rabbi Fohrman's style, to ask thought provoking questions and then answer them with his frame of thought (of course referencing scripture).

Actually the book is only 162 pages, is that what you mean by "thick"?
Well I thought it must be thick since it was written by a Rabbi. Neither Amazon nor AlephBeta mentions the page number.

So if you read it 11 years ago, you don't remember the answers, do you? .... and could post them here?

162 pages in English is still a lot.
I just saw Amazon mention the page number, I missed it.
Bluebird,

I have to dig back into the book and see.

If you at all familiar with Rabbi Forhman's work, you'll know there isn't just a "short" answer. It's long, detailed and references different parts of the Hebrew bible (like one of his favorite lines - "where have we heard that before"?)

Maybe you can pick a question or two and I'll see if I can sum up his answer.

You're giving me homework!

That's okay, that is how I learn!!
(03-25-2022, 08:49 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: [ -> ]Bluebird,

If you at all familiar with Rabbi Forhman's work, you'll know there isn't just a "short" answer. It's long, detailed and references different parts of the Hebrew bible (like one of his favorite lines - "where have we heard that before"?)

Thank you very much for that offer!

So here are the questions I have... the second question, I actually had before reading the excerpt from Rabbi Fohrman's book.

- Why this emphasis on the honor of Mordecai with the royal clothes etc.? “These verses introduce him to us and celebrate his greatness. But isn't that all a bit beside the point?"

- „Why name the holiday after the very thing you don't believe in - coincidence and chance? The name of the holiday itself seems to be a bitter joke.”

In this short video he starts to explain but I don't think that's really an answer to the question, it's more of a distraction, isn't it?
(03-25-2022, 09:50 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2022, 08:49 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: [ -> ]Bluebird,

Thank you very much for that offer!

So here are the questions I have... the second question, I actually had before reading the excerpt from Rabbi Fohrman's book.

- Why this emphasis on the honor of Mordecai with the royal clothes etc.? “These verses introduce him to us and celebrate his greatness. But isn't that all a bit beside the point?"

- „Why name the holiday after the very thing you don't believe in - coincidence and chance? The name of the holiday itself seems to be a bitter joke.”

In this short video he starts to explain but I don't think that's really an answer to the question, it's more of a distraction, isn't it?

Okay, give me some time and I'll see what I come up with. Enjoy your weekend!
Pages: 1 2