Jewish Forums
How does God communicate with angels? - Printable Version

+- Jewish Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Judaism General (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: How does God communicate with angels? (/showthread.php?tid=371)

How does God communicate with angels? - George - 01-04-2020

How does God communicate with angels?

Thanks.

RE: How does God communicate with angels? - searchinmyroots - 01-05-2020

George,

In my opinion, no matter what any answer given here is, we really don't know as we cannot even wrap our heads around what G-d really is nor an angel.

Good to hear from you though!!

RE: How does God communicate with angels? - George - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 01:34 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: George,

In my opinion, no matter what any answer given here is, we really don't know as we cannot even wrap our heads around what G-d really is nor an angel.

Good to hear from you though!!

I think you are right SMR.  All we know is that God sends angels to prophets with a message from Him and that's it.

I'm doing a little research on angels and this thought came up.

Thanks for the welcome back.

RE: How does God communicate with angels? - jewishdate - 01-22-2020

Interesting question but seemingly fruitless. How do we even begin to understand God and the different ways God communicates and when you refer to angels what exactly do you mean? A lack of understanding of each concept makes it difficult, basically impossible, to answer without just speculating. I wish I knew the answer since I think you genuinely are seeking one.

RE: How does God communicate with angels? - jewishteacher - 02-24-2020

just joined so I am a little late on the answer. I think the question leads to a better understanding of our world.

Rambam says angels have no substance, they are just a force like gravity. Gravity is a force that is consistent in its application. What makes it a force? Rambam would say God wills gravity to be. Similarly, each angel is ultimately a force that God wills into existence. They are invisible because we can't trace why their force acts the way it does. (Rambam discusses the various levels of angels which need not be germane to this discussion.)

There are all kinds of forces at work in the world, although we may not call them forces, and each one can be thought of as an angel, especially when we cannot measure all the forces at work - they seem to have a will of their own. For example, coronavirus is a force. You might consider it an angel. It is a little mysterious how coronavirus gets passed from person to person. We don't have enough details to be able to trace its path. Some in the room will get it and some not. Some will die but most not. So many forces go into this result such as the strength of the virus transferred, the resistance of the person affected, past experiences, antibodies, maybe even the time of day.

Since we can't see or measure the path, the Torah uses the concept of an angel (a invisible messenger of God which seems to have a will of its own but really is just the will of God applied in each case) as a shorthand description of what is going on.

Back to your question - how does God communicate with angels? No need to. They are just expressions of His will. We should understand that our entire existence is an expression of His will that is made more intricate, complex, gorgeous by His allowing our will to freely discover how we fit in and add to it. (Of course, the freedom part means we are also free to mess it up and you can guess the result of that.)