The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Jewish Forums
Tzniut Modesty & general questions - Printable Version

+- Jewish Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Judaism General (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Tzniut Modesty & general questions (/showthread.php?tid=422)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tzniut Modesty & general questions - YosefTribe - 04-24-2020

Hello everyone  Shy 

The Lord has called me to Judaism and placed in my heart a strong attraction towards the culture, customs and even Israel for a while before I realized. A few family members and I plan on converting in the near future. I’ve spent my time studying the culture, practicing Hebrew and understanding the laws which I have the upmost respect for, especially the TZNIUT law. But I do have some questions that I have not found the answers for no matter how much I searched the internet. 

As a married woman, I know my hair will have to be covered from what I’ve read but to what degree? Is it similar to the Muslims where no hair is to be shown at all or more laxed where it’s covered for the most part and some baby hairs might show in the front? Sorry for the odd questions, lol..

Can Jewish people wear prints on clothing or even vibrant colors? And accessories as well?  I’m asking because I once lived across the street from a Orthodox Jewish community & they only wore black. 

How would a Jewish man keep his hair looking tamed if he isn’t supposed to cut it technically? (My mom really wants to know this one for some reason)

Does my spouse (who is Christian) need to be a Jew when I convert? 

Do Jews pray in Yeshua’s name to God like Christians believe is the only way to pray to the Father? (I know Jesus isn’t his real name) 

Again, I apologize for the many questions. I’m just very eager to learn about this religion/culture so I can follow it correctly as much as possible. Thank you in advance to those who answer.

Tzniut modesty & questions - YosefTribe - 04-24-2020

Hello everyone, 

The Lord has placed a strong attraction to this religion, culture and even Israel in my heart for a while now. He has recently called me to Judaism. I even had a few spiritual dreams, one of the Lord showing me around ancient Israel and giving me names of various things in Hebrew. I and a few family members plan on converting in the near future & I’ve been studying and practicing Hebrew, but I have some questions that I cannot find answers to. 

How do you officially convert? Do I need to attend a Synagogue service & ask a Rabbi?

As a married woman I know my hair must be covered, but to what extent? Is it similar to Muslims where all of the hair is completely covered or does it need to be covered for the most part with the exception of baby hairs exposed in the front? 

Can jews wear prints on their clothing and vibrant colors? And accessories? I’m asking because I once lived across from an Orthodox Jewish community and they only wore formal black clothing. 

Does my spouse need to convert as well when I do? Wouldn’t it be a problem for one to be a Jew with someone who’s faith is not the same? 

Do Jews pray in Yeshua’s name (I know Jesus isn’t his real name) just as Christians believe is the only way to pray. 

Sorry for all of the questions, I am very eager to learn and want to abide by the laws and everything correctly out of the upmost respect. Thank you to those who answer!

RE: Tzniut modesty & questions - Chavak - 04-24-2020

Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah or G-d. He is not important to Judaism. It seems you still believe in him, and therefore you can not convert to Judaism. You must give up all former beliefs and accept Judaism in full. Believing in Jesus eliminates any possibility of converting. I would suggest going back and re-evaluating your beliefs. If you eventually come to the conclusion that Jesus was not the messiah and nothing more than an ordinary man, you could study and make a decision about conversion. But as of now, that is off the table.

RE: Tzniut Modesty & general questions - Chavak - 04-24-2020

As I mentioned in your other thread, you cannot convert if you hold belief in Jesus.
But to answer the other questions:
Not all Jewish women cover their hair, not even all Orthodox women do. If the hair is covered, it should be in full. Some say you can have a hands width of hair showing, but everyone I know (including myself) who covers their does so in full. It can be done with a hat, a scarf, or commonly a wig.
Some Orthodox wear only black, some do not. You can wear prints and colors although in some circles red is looked down on.
Men can cut their hair, the are not supposed to shave the corner of their beard which is why you often see Orthodox men with beards. But there are laws that permit it, depending on the type of razor.
I believe Reform allows one spouse to convert and the other not, I am not sure about Conservative. Orthodoxy, no. The spouse must also convert.

BTW, the first three posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots. After that your posts should show.
Welcome to the forum. Please make post in the Introduction section. We always appreciate knowing a little something about new members.

RE: Tzniut modesty & questions - YosefTribe - 04-24-2020

(04-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Chavak Wrote: Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah or G-d. He is not important to Judaism. It seems you still believe in him, and therefore you can not convert to Judaism. You must give up all former beliefs and accept Judaism in full. Believing in Jesus eliminates any possibility of converting. I would suggest going back and re-evaluating your beliefs. If you eventually come to the conclusion that Jesus was not the messiah and nothing more than an ordinary man, you could study and make a decision about conversion. But as of now, that is off the table.

It was merely a question on whether Jews pray to him or not. I was asking for insight because I didn’t know, that’s why I asked. I never said I agreed it was the only way to pray to the Lord, I just know what Christians believe and wondered if it was the same because I am seeking the RIGHT way to pray to my Father, regardless of My past beliefs or not. G-d leads me, not any Christian concept. So thanks for your ambitious reply.

RE: Tzniut modesty & questions - searchinmyroots - 04-24-2020

(04-24-2020, 05:04 PM)YosefTribe Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Chavak Wrote: Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah or G-d. He is not important to Judaism. It seems you still believe in him, and therefore you can not convert to Judaism. You must give up all former beliefs and accept Judaism in full. Believing in Jesus eliminates any possibility of converting. I would suggest going back and re-evaluating your beliefs. If you eventually come to the conclusion that Jesus was not the messiah and nothing more than an ordinary man, you could study and make a decision about conversion. But as of now, that is off the table.

It was merely a question on whether Jews pray to him or not. I was asking for insight because I didn’t know, that’s why I asked. I never said I agreed it was the only way to pray to the Lord, I just know what Christians believe and wondered if it was the same because I am seeking the RIGHT way to pray to my Father, regardless of My past beliefs or not. G-d leads me, not any Christian concept. So thanks for your ambitious reply.

YosefTribe,

Thanks for your explanation. I am just puzzled as to why you would think Jewish people would pray in Jesus's name when Jesus has nothing to do with Judaism. It's like asking a Christian if they pray in the name of Buddah or Mohammad.

I'm not sure there is a "right" way to pray to G-d, you just have to open your heart to Him directly.

Well, I guess I was a little surprised that you would ask that particular question. If you have studied Judaism enough to have an interest in converting,  I would have assumed you would have known the answer to that question. As SMR said, there is no "right" way to pray to G-d. What is right for a Jew isn't going to be right for a Christian or a Muslim. I would suggest continuing to study and see where things lead you.

BTW, there are two threads here with your questions. I answered some of them in the other thread. Am hoping Jason can combine the two threads to make responses easier.

RE: Tzniut modesty & questions - YosefTribe - 04-24-2020

(04-24-2020, 05:21 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:

YosefTribe,

Thanks for your explanation. I am just puzzled as to why you would think Jewish people would pray in Jesus's name when Jesus has nothing to do with Judaism. It's like asking a Christian if they pray in the name of Buddah or Mohammad.

I'm not sure there is a "right" way to pray to G-d, you just have to open your heart to Him directly.

Thanks for informing me on that, otherwise my family and I would never have known. I will be studying and praying intently on this particular subject. If I’m pursuing a change as serious as this one, I know I will have to leave behind a lot & im fine with it. It’s just the truth I want, no matter what. So thanks for that!