The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1492 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1492 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1638 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 203 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1585 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1585 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1492 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1492 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1585 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1585 errorHandler->error_callback

Jewish Forums
Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - Printable Version

+- Jewish Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Judaism General (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources (/showthread.php?tid=426)

Pages: 1 2

Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - stephen_says - 04-29-2020

Hi all, new to the forum.  I joined because I just watched the Netflix series Unorthodox and it peaked my interest and brought up a lot of questions.  I started reading Wikipedia and one thing led to another and thought I’d join to learn what I can and interact and get to know you all.  I would love to hear your opinions on the show!

Also, I came across the website theTorah.com and wondering if anyone is familiar with that and has opinions on it as a resource to learn about Judaism?  What are some other websites one can turn to for good information regarding religious Judaism?  

Thanks!

Stephen

RE: TheTorah.com - Jason - 04-29-2020

I'd actually not heard of TheTorah.com until just now. It looks like a very well-maintained website with lots of information. I'm not sure about who put the site together in terms of their affiliation, but they seem to be attempting to put out materials from a plurality of Jewish perspectives. Their stated goal is to introduce the academic side of questions to the Torah portions. It seems honorable to me.

I loved Unorthodox and ended up watching it three times in a week. My favorite line was when Moishe and Yanki came to Esti's mother's house in Berlin. She stopped them at the door and told Moishe, "Don't threaten me. This isn't your world; you have no power here." It broke me every time. The fear in her voice, the way she closed the door and told her girlfriend not to call the police. This shook me. That and when Esti introduced her mother to her new friends, and when Yanki came to her audition.

The whole thing broke my heart, and I wish we could know if she was accepted to the program and where she went from there. I realize that the Berlin portion of the series was fictional and not really based on the life of Ms Feldman, but Esti really connected to my heart, and I wish I could know more of what happened with her afterwards in the author's mind. Thanks for bringing it up, even in passing.

RE: TheTorah.com - stephen_says - 04-30-2020

(04-29-2020, 11:03 PM)Jason Wrote: I'd actually not heard of TheTorah.com until just now. It looks like a very well-maintained website with lots of information. I'm not sure about who put the site together in terms of their affiliation, but they seem to be attempting to put out materials from a plurality of Jewish perspectives. Their stated goal is to introduce the academic side of questions to the Torah portions. It seems honorable to me.

I loved Unorthodox and ended up watching it three times in a week. My favorite line was when Moishe and Yanki came to Esti's mother's house in Berlin. She stopped them at the door and told Moishe, "Don't threaten me. This isn't your world; you have no power here." It broke me every time. The fear in her voice, the way she closed the door and told her girlfriend not to call the police. This shook me. That and when Esti introduced her mother to her new friends, and when Yanki came to her audition.

The whole thing broke my heart, and I wish we could know if she was accepted to the program and where she went from there. I realize that the Berlin portion of the series was fictional and not really based on the life of Ms Feldman, but Esti really connected to my heart, and I wish I could know more of what happened with her afterwards in the author's mind. Thanks for bringing it up, even in passing.
Thanks for the response!  I updated the post to hopefully see more opinions on the show!

RE: Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - Dana - 04-30-2020

Hi Stephen.

I am not familiar with Torah.com but I did watch the Netflix series Unorthodox,  prior to watching a longer series called Shtisel which takes place in Jerusalem and that had a more realistic feel to me.

Apparently, Netflix is running some shows on Orthodox Judaism and its defectors which makes me question why that is.  I'm not a big fan of Netflix, but occasionally they show something good.

The impression I got of Unorthodox was that it was over-dramatized, chase scenes ect. for special effect.

If Deborah Feldman did experience the severe restraints, as shown, within the Satmar Hasidic Community, which certainly had the feel of a cult-like environment, it wasn't necessary for any embellishment.  I thought Shira Haas a wonderful actress and her role touched me most when she found the courage, not just to run, but to reach out and trust total strangers. If the story is real to life their helping her find her place was inspiring and good.  Beautiful singing voice and character.

RE: Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - searchinmyroots - 04-30-2020

Thought this might be of interest regarding the topic -

RE: Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - searchinmyroots - 04-30-2020

And here is an interesting article from a woman who also left the Satmar community -

https://friedavizel.com/2020/03/26/unorthodox-book-review/

RE: Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - RabbiO - 04-30-2020

(04-30-2020, 12:41 AM)Dana Wrote: Hi Stephen.

I am not familiar with Torah.com 
Important to note that TheTorah.com and Torah.com are two completely separate websites, having two completely different orientations.

RE: Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - Chavak - 04-30-2020

I had never hear of theTorah.com either. Looks like an interesting site though. I don't have netflix so I don't see any of their shows, but I have read comments online that their shows don't adequately reflect the Orthodox community. No comment of my own thought since I've never seen Unorthodox or Shtisel.

RE: Unorthodox Series and a question on online resources - Jason - 04-30-2020

(04-30-2020, 02:23 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Thought this might be of interest regarding the topic -

Just finished watching. That was a fantastic viewpoint on the issues.

Glad you enjoyed it Jason.

True, unfiltered and honest!