The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Jewish Forums
Books by Former Christians - Printable Version

+- Jewish Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Counter-Missionary Forum (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Books by Former Christians (/showthread.php?tid=567)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Books by Former Christians - searchinmyroots - 12-14-2020

I had posted these on the old forum but I don't think I've done so on this one yet.

Here are 2 books (there are many others) by former Christians explaining why they have left Christianity.

Actually the second one is a line by line discussion comparing Paul's doctrine to that of the Hebrew bible.

I'd like to see this done with the entire Christian bible!

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/98741

https://www.amazon.com/Apostle-Paul-Saul-Tarsus-Bitter-ebook/dp/B0778BPN7B/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=paul+the+bitter+root&qid=1607973299&sr=8-4

Thought they might be of interest to some.

RE: Books by Former Christians - robrecht - 12-15-2020

I applaud these and all other efforts to expose Christian misreadings and distortions of the Jewish scriptures. To be fair, however, one might also recognize that these distortions began as a product of their time and were not necessarily practiced in bad faith. One can already see rather similar pesher exegesis in the Jewish Dead Sea Scrolls that preceded the origins of the Christian scriptures. Similarly, much of later Rabbinic exegesis would also certainly not pass muster among modern Jewish or critical scriptural hermeneutics. Perhaps the biggest difference is that Jewish scriptural exegesis over the centuries has, in my opinion, tended toward humble, dialogical, self-critical, sometimes even a humorous awareness of our limited understanding of the mystery of God, whereas fundamentalist Christian interpretations of the Jewish scriptures seem to always tend toward narrow-minded, dogmatic, anti-Semitic readings.

RE: Books by Former Christians - Blue Bird - 06-06-2021

(12-15-2020, 04:34 AM)robrecht Wrote: Perhaps the biggest difference is that Jewish scriptural exegesis over the centuries has, in my opinion, tended toward humble, dialogical, self-critical, sometimes even a humorous awareness of our limited understanding of the mystery of God, whereas fundamentalist Christian interpretations of the Jewish scriptures seem to always tend toward narrow-minded, dogmatic, anti-Semitic readings.

Why is that? I'm glad that I've never been satisfied with dogmatic and narrow-minded readings but I hear some of it in the Christian world. 

I always thought of Judaism as a rigid religion. Since I've been here, this has changed. I find this video mind-blowing:

https://www.alephbeta.org/playlist/shacharit-morning-prayers   (Part 2, this doesn't come automatically)

I have never expected a rabbi saying things like:  "It seems strange to me that God just kind of threw together this world in 6 days." Let alone the questions he asks  Smile

In the light of what I've learned here, Judaism has obviously the courage to question basically everything without considering it blasphemy (I don't know if I got this right).

Maybe there is more fear in Christianity to come to wrong conclusions and to loose salvation. So in order to keep control you don't ask so much (?).

RE: Books by Former Christians - searchinmyroots - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 11:51 AM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 04:34 AM)robrecht Wrote: Perhaps the biggest difference is that Jewish scriptural exegesis over the centuries has, in my opinion, tended toward humble, dialogical, self-critical, sometimes even a humorous awareness of our limited understanding of the mystery of God, whereas fundamentalist Christian interpretations of the Jewish scriptures seem to always tend toward narrow-minded, dogmatic, anti-Semitic readings.

Why is that? I'm glad that I've never been satisfied with dogmatic and narrow-minded readings but I hear some of it in the Christian world. 

I always thought of Judaism as a rigid religion. Since I've been here, this has changed. I find this video mind-blowing:

https://www.alephbeta.org/playlist/shacharit-morning-prayers   (Part 2, this doesn't come automatically)

I have never expected a rabbi saying things like:  "It seems strange to me that God just kind of threw together this world in 6 days." Let alone the questions he asks  Smile

In the light of what I've learned here, Judaism has obviously the courage to question basically everything without considering it blasphemy (I don't know if I got this right).

Maybe there is more fear in Christianity to come to wrong conclusions and to loose salvation. So in order to keep control you don't ask so much (?).

Bluebird,

If I may answer as well -

Judaism is all about asking questions, we've been doing so for thousands of years and it is seen many times in the Hebrew bible as well (Abraham and Moses for examples).

No, we are not afraid to ask questions. 

And you will probably find many answers.

Not that any or all are right or wrong.

Of course there are some within Judaism that may not ask as much or may consider some questions off limits. But most to my knowledge encourage it. When I attended Torah classes, the Rabbi used to ask us what our interpretation of the verses were. Of course almost 100% of our answers (and questions) were already asked or commented on. The sages of long ago spent most of their time trying to decipher the meaning of Torah and it still continues to this day (and almost certainly in the future as well).

RE: Books by Former Christians - robrecht - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 11:51 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: Why is that?

That's a great question. A scholar acquaintance of mine has actually wanted to write a book about how the early Christians created the "Old Testament," claiming it as their own, fixing its meaning, and thereby distorting it into Christian scriptures. It's a big topic, but I will try to be a little more succinct!

What began as Jewish pesher exegesis of the prophets and psalms to show that elements of the life of Jesus were foretold in the scriptures quickly became a way of colorizing the story of Jesus with many allusions to the Jewish scriptures. As the churches became more and more dominated by gentiles, they were progressively cut off from the long process of the creation and handing on of the Jewish scriptures in which many different views were proposed and combined in a centuries long discussion and debate that for Jews continued into a wealth of rabbinic discussions and exegesis which are memorialized in the Mishnah and Talmud. But Christians had become fixated on only understanding their Old Testament as primarily pointing toward their Christ. Consequently they were largely ignorant of the original and living traditions of deeper meaning that can be found in the Jewish scriptures.

Another early aspect of this process was the need for a new religion in the Roman empire to argue that it was part of an older religious tradition. Christians, like Jews, shunned the worship of gentile idols and sought to defend this anti-social 'atheist' behavior by claiming the Jewish scriptures as their own. Jewish avoidance of idol worship was largely tolerated in Roman society because it was part of a much older tradition, which was valued in Roman society.

On the other hand, the anti-Jewish sentiment enshrined in the Christian scriptures came about in part because of Jewish persecution of this new sect, which made the scandalous claim that an executed criminal was actually the Messiah. The authors of the gospels claimed that the Judean authorities were systematically opposed to Jesus while he was still alive, even from the beginnings of his public life in Galilee. There may have been some truth to that, but even if there is, it is definitely exaggerated. What may have started out as an inter-Jewish polemic between various sects and authorities within Judaism, grew into a more universal condemnation of the entire Jewish people and their religion by Christians. 

This was, in part, encouraged by the desire of the early Christians to separate themselves from the Jews in the eyes of Roman society and Roman authorities. This coincided with Flavian propaganda that legitimated and confirmed their authority by exaggerating the threat of the Jewish rebellion which they had defeated in 70 CE. The author of the gospel of Mark probably already believed that the Roman destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem was a sign of the coming end times and was also vindication of Jesus against the Jewish temple authorities that Mark believed handed Jesus over to be crucified. With the Jews being blamed for Jesus' death, Pilate, and thereby the Romans in general, were increasingly portrayed as innocent of Jesus' death. In some traditions, Pilate even became a Christian saint. This served to also portray the new Christian religion as itself posing no threat to the Roman empire, despite the fact that Jesus had been crucified for making a royal claim that was directly contrary to the authority of the Roman Senate (and the Roman established Jewish sunedria). This served the evangelistic purposes of the Christians as they sought converts within Roman society.

(06-06-2021, 05:31 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Bluebird,

If I may answer as well -

Judaism is all about asking questions, we've been doing so for thousands of years and it is seen many times in the Hebrew bible as well (Abraham and Moses for examples).

No, we are not afraid to ask questions. 

And you will probably find many answers.

Not that any or all are right or wrong.

Of course there are some within Judaism that may not ask as much or may consider some questions off limits. But most to my knowledge encourage it. When I attended Torah classes, the Rabbi used to ask us what our interpretation of the verses were. Of course almost 100% of our answers (and questions) were already asked or commented on. The sages of long ago spent most of their time trying to decipher the meaning of Torah and it still continues to this day (and almost certainly in the future as well).

searchinmyroots, I always appreciate your answer! 

Yet it causes sadness over all the good we have missed by intentionally or unknowingly ignoring Judaism.

(06-06-2021, 05:46 PM)robrecht Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 11:51 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: Why is that?

That's a great question. A scholar acquaintance of mine has actually wanted to write a whole book about how the early Christians created the Old Testament, claiming it as their own, fixing its meaning, and thereby distorting it into Christian scriptures. It's a big topic, but I will try to be a little more succinct!

What began as Jewish pesher exegesis of the prophets and psalms to show that elements of the life of Jesus were foretold in the scriptures quickly became a way of colorizing the story of Jesus with many allusions to the Jewish scriptures. As the churches became more and more dominated by gentiles, they were progressively cut off from the long process of the creation and handing on of the Jewish scriptures in which many different views were proposed and combined in a centuries long discussion and debate that for Jews continued into a wealth of rabbinic discussions and exegesis which are memorialized in the Mishnah and Talmud. But Christians had become fixated on only understanding their Old Testament as primarily pointing toward their Christ. Consequently they were largely ignorant of the original and living traditions of deeper meaning that can be found in the Jewish scriptures.

Another early aspect of this process was the need for a new religion in the Roman empire to argue that it was part of an older religious tradition. Christians, like Jews, shunned the worship of gentile idols and sought to defend this anti-social 'atheist' behavior by claiming the Jewish scriptures as their own scriptures. Jewish avoidance of idol worship was largely tolerated in Roman society because it was part of a much older tradition, which was valued in Roman society.

On the other hand, the anti-Jewish sentiment enshrined in the Christian scriptures came about in part because of Jewish persecution of this new sect, which made the scandalous claim that an executed criminal was actually the Messiah. The authors of the gospels claimed that the Judean authorities were systematically opposed to Jesus while he was still alive, even from the beginnings of his public life in Galilee. There may have been some truth to that, but even if there is, it is definitely exaggerated. What may have started out as an inter-Jewish polemic between various sects and authorities within Judaism, grew into a more universal condemnation of the entire Jewish people and their religion. 

This was, in part, encouraged by the desire of the early Christians to separate themselves from the Jews in the eyes of Roman society and Roman authorities. This coincided with Flavian propaganda that legitimated and confirmed their authority by exaggerating the threat of the Jewish rebellion which they had defeated in 70 CE. The author of the gospel of Mark probably already believed that the Roman destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem was a sign of the coming end times and was also vindication of Jesus against the Jewish temple authorities that he believed handed him over to be crucified. With the Jews being blamed for Jesus' death, Pilate, and thereby the Romans in general, were increasingly portrayed as innocent of Jesus' death. In some traditions, Pilate even became a Christian saint. This served to also portray the new Christian religion as itself posing no threat to the Roman empire, despite the fact that Jesus had been crucified for making a royal claim that was directly contrary to the authority of the Roman Senate (and their Roman established Jewish sunedrion). This served the evangelistic purposes of the Christians as they sought converts within Roman society.

That's a really revealing summery of Jewish-Christian history, thank you!

So the main reason seems to be the increasing number of gentile Christians... The persecution by Jews and the persecution by non-Christian gentiles lead to different Christian behaviours. I have to think about what you said. My first impression is that Christians conformed to gentiles (for instance easter with eggs, christmas with the tree etc.) while the persecution by Jews was answered by resentments against Jews. Again, I need some time to let your interesting short-book (good job!) sink in.

RE: Books by Former Christians - RabbiO - 06-08-2021

(06-06-2021, 05:46 PM)robrecht Wrote: Blue BirdWhy is that?

That's a great question. A scholar acquaintance of mine has actually wanted to write a book about how the early Christians created the Old Testament, claiming it as their own, fixing its meaning, and thereby distorting it into Christian scriptures. 

Exactly who is this scholar? 

From where I sit it is a proposition lacking much support.

RE: Books by Former Christians - Jason - 06-08-2021

Well, maybe what is today called the Septuagint is a Christian creation aimed at supporting Christianity, but not the Hebrew text.

RE: Books by Former Christians - Blue Bird - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 06:40 PM)Jason Wrote: Well, maybe what is today called the Septuagint is a Christian creation aimed at supporting Christianity, but not the Hebrew text.

As far as I know, most of the Septuagint was completed several years before Christ.