Jewish Forums
Hebrew Language Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - Printable Version

+- Jewish Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hebrew Language Forum (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Hebrew Language Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? (/showthread.php?tid=632)

Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - קָטָן - 03-13-2021

Hi everybody,

a well-known Hebrew song contains the line
אֶרֶץ תְכֹל אְין עָב    
(hereinafter 'line')

Is תְכֹל אְין עָב (henceforth 'phrase') a case of סמיכות?
This seems to be the case since תְכֹל is construct state of the color noun תָכֹל.
And its meaning could be the visual quality 'cloudless azure'.

But is the preposition אְין allowed in a סמיכות construct at all?

If not, how to parse the phrase תְכֹל אְין עָב, or even the whole line, grammatically?
I'm interested in the precise grammatical structure of line, at least phrase.

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - Jason - 03-14-2021

It doesn't need to be smichut. The noun form is תְּכוֹל "light-blue color." תָּכֹל is an adjective form. The feminine is תְּכֻלָּה (of the same pattern as אָדֹם אֲדֻמָּה and יָרֹק יְרֻקָּה). Adjectives can function substantively, so you might find תְּכֹל describing something in the same way that גָּדֹל and נָטוּל are used on the first page of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Hebrew:

[הַדּוֹד וֶרְנוֹן] הָיָה אִישׁ גְּדָל־מְמַדִּים, בַּשְׂרָנִי, וְכִמְעַט נְטוּל צַוָּואר

Here, the adjective גְּדֹל is in smichut with the noun מְמַדִּים to create "large of dimensions" (gəḏol-məmaddîm). Similarly, the adjective נָטוּל is in smichut with the noun צַוָּואר to mean "lacking a neck." So, this is possible with adjectives. However, this surely isn't what's happening here.

I wouldn't take this a smichut. It's two phrases: a land of light blue [in which there is] no cloud. You should read תְּכֹל as a noun in its own right of the pattern קְטוֹל.

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - קָטָן - 03-15-2021

I wasn't aware of the noun תְכוֹל for azure, only תָכֹל and maybe תְכֵלֶת . (For beginners rather confusing this diversity). It even seems that the ו in this noun is obligatory (mater lectionis); or does a color noun תְכֹֹל exist in Hebrew ?

Assuming in the song we have תְכוֹל, then the תְכֹֹל given in the written lyrics I work with amounts to a spelling error.

Or is there another conclusion ?

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - Jason - 03-16-2021

(03-15-2021, 10:27 PM)קָטָן Wrote: I wasn't aware of the noun תְכוֹל for azure, only תָכֹל and maybe תְכֵלֶת . (For beginners rather confusing this diversity). It even seems that the ו in this noun is obligatory (mater lectionis); or does a color noun  תְכֹֹל exist in Hebrew ?

Assuming in the song we have תְכוֹל, then the תְכֹֹל given in the written lyrics I work with amounts to a spelling error.

Or is there another conclusion ?

I wouldn't take it as a spelling error. Modern Hebrew tends to write all o vowels with ḥolam. It's just the way of writing (especially in an unpointed text).

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - קָטָן - 03-17-2021

I think the ו in תְכוֹל is comparatively mandatory.

For example, the internet dictionary morfix lists the following two terms (on one and the same page, see https://www.morfix.co.il/en/%D7%AA%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%9C. [I hope the hyperlink is in accordance with the forum rules.]):
תָּכֹל
תְּכוֹל.
There, it is asserted that both are nouns meaning azure or at least 'light blue'.
I assume both terms are כתיב מנוקד and not full spelling.
Remarkably, the sound of the Hebrew phoneme [ɔ~o] is represented by חולם חסר in one case and by an אם קריאה in the other. This difference seems to be deliberate. In a dictionary consistency is important in order not to confuse its users. Why prefer a mixed presentation over a uniform one ?

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - קָטָן - 03-18-2021

Regarding the topic of this thread all this would suggest the following:
In כתיב מנוקד, line (see initial post) should be
אֶרֶץ תְכוֹל אְין עָב
and in כתיב מלא
ארץ תכול אין עב.
I assume that תְכוֹל appears as it is. Or is there an inflected term after אֶרֶץ ?

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - Jason - 03-20-2021

(03-18-2021, 09:38 PM)קָטָן Wrote: Regarding the topic of this thread all this would suggest the following:
In כתיב מנוקד, line (see initial post) should be
אֶרֶץ תְכוֹל אְין עָב
and in כתיב מלא
ארץ תכול אין עב.
I assume that תְכוֹל appears as it is. Or is there an inflected term after אֶרֶץ ?

אְין isn't a possible pointing, though.

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - קָטָן - 03-20-2021

Correct, a needless mistake on my part, should be אֵין instead. Good to see you are still attentive.

Thank you for your support. This thread can be regarded 'solved', at least as far as I'm concerned.

RE: Preposition אֵין allowed within סמיכות construct ? - Jason - 03-21-2021

You answered your own question! Smile