The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jewish beliefs about death
I'm not sure which is the jewish beliefs about death.when one die what happens according to judaism?
(07-08-2020, 06:42 PM)Ismq Wrote: I'm not sure which is the jewish beliefs about death.when one die what happens according to judaism?

That depends on whether you are referring to what the Hebrew bible says or what is said in Judaism.

The Hebrew bible says in Ecclesiastes 12:7 - "And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God, Who gave it." (JPT)

Judaism itself varies in opinion on what happens when you die.

Since the G-d doesn't focus on it in the Hebrew bible we (most) don't focus on it too much.

G-d focuses on how to live your life, so we do as well.
(07-08-2020, 08:27 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 06:42 PM)Ismq Wrote: I'm not sure which is the jewish beliefs about death.when one die what happens according to judaism?

That depends on whether you are referring to what the Hebrew bible says or what is said in Judaism.

The Hebrew bible says in Ecclesiastes 12:7 - "And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God, Who gave it." (JPT)

Since the G-d doesn't focus on it in the Hebrew bible we (most) don't focus on it too much.

It also depends upon which part of the Tanakh you read.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(07-08-2020, 09:46 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 08:27 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:

It also depends upon which part of the Tanakh you read.

All of it I hope!

Please elaborate RabbiO, thank you.
I hear a range of different beliefs, such as being buried in the grave and nothing more (until Judgement Day, I think?) or that there will be jury on all the acts and deeds committed and whether if it served Gd.

Good question. :thumbsup
(07-14-2020, 01:14 AM)CNikki Wrote: I hear a range of different beliefs, such as being buried in the grave and nothing more (until Judgement Day, I think?) or that there will be jury on all the acts and deeds committed and whether if it served Gd.

Good question. :thumbsup

Hello CNikki,

Do you have sources for these?
I also thought the question was very good, and enough to interest me in reading Bart Ehrman's Heaven and Hell - A History of the Afterlife. His claim is that it was the ideas of heaven and hell that were invented,  and had been altered over the years, beginning with Gilgamesh as a beginning point and ending with Augustine.  He covers views of the afterlife in the ancient Near East, Greece and Rome, the Hebrew Bible, Second Temple Judaism, the New Testament and early Christianity.

There are verses in the Hebrew bible, early tenth century BCE, of the deeply rooted sense of finality in death. (2 Samuel 14:14 and Job 14:11-12, Psalm 104:29 and Genesis 2:7) to name a few.  There is no life after death.

He goes on to explain in one of his chapters how the Hebrew Bible is not a monolith but a wide range of views held by different authors over a period of many centuries.   How resurrection in Ancient Israel spoke more to the entire nation and not that of the individual. That was to come later where the writings leaned towards the rise of apocalyptic thinking.
I think there is a difference in what happens to your physical body as compared to your soul.

Of course we really don't know what a soul is so that is up for debate.
What about daniel 12:2?
(11-06-2020, 10:00 PM)Ismq Wrote: What about daniel 12:2?

Judaism isn't monolithic. It changed over time. Daniel is probably the latest book in the canon, and the idea of resurrection had entered the Jewish milieu of ideas by that time. It became a staple teaching during the time after the Babylonian Exile.