The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jewish beliefs about death
(11-09-2020, 04:49 AM)Ismq Wrote: Then you don't believe in plenary what says the tanakh about the messiah.

I don't appreciate you trying to make the conversation revolve around what I believe. Nothing being discussed here hinges on if I believe it or not. My personal beliefs are none of your business.

The conversation is about what the text says, not about whether or not I believe what the text says. I prefer to interpret texts according to their contents. I approach the New Testament the same way, and I don't believe a word in it. (I'm even of the opinion that the likelihood of there having been an historical Jesus is slim to none.) That doesn't mean that I cannot read, understand, and discuss the New Testament documents. And my personal beliefs about those questions will not come into account as far as they are not relevant to the meaning of an ancient text.

Therefore, I would ask that you stop trying to put me in some corner. I'm not interested in playing that game.
(11-12-2020, 10:16 PM)Ismq Wrote: I don't understand.does not the tanakh talks about the messiah?

It seems to me that you're attempting to force me to profess faith or lack of faith in a text about whose contents you are ignorant. What in the world?
From my study about this subject, Using purely scripture, I was very pleased with the understanding of Death I gained. When a person dies Rightoues or not, there soul goes to Sheol (Abode of the dead/The grave)...in the beginning, Hashem blew the spirit of life thru the nostrils, man became a living Soul. As we see in Ecclesiastes, the spirit returns to the one who gave it, rightoues Soul gets "gathered in" to it's people(Abrahams Bosom) , they go into a state of repose and comfort, rest.-Isaiah While there is no rest for the wicked, Ecclesiastes says, the wicked have madness in Thier heart during life and even in death, I'd refer to this section as "the pit" where they don't get "Gathered in" rather burried, both places are in Sheol, but separated. We see in Daniel and Ezekiel there will one day be a Ressurection of the dead, those who sleep. The Spirit of life from Hashem will reunite with The Soul of man.
THIS IS where I'd start moving into The Messianic scriptures from here...bc I believe this ressurection will happen, When Y'shua returns as Mashiyach Ben David and rule as king for 1000 years on this earth, during which time, all nations of earth will have to come to Juersalem once a year to keep the feast of sukkot, and those in Abrahams Bosom will be resurrected to rule with Messiah for ever. And have eternal Bodies upon His return.(Abel,Moshe,Elisha,Abraham all His ppl will be ressurected) Then after the 1000 year millienal Shabbat, I believe there will be a 2nd ressurection of those in The pit, to Judgement day, where they will be thrown into Gehenna.
(11-12-2020, 10:45 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 10:16 PM)Ismq Wrote: I don't understand.does not the tanakh talks about the messiah?

The Hebrew word for messiah, Mashiach, simply means "the one anointed with oil". There are many Mashiachs in the Hebrew bible. If I'm not mistaken, almost every King was one. Even Cyrus who wasn't a Jewish King is mentioned as a Mashiach.

There are references of a redeemer and one who will be as a Mashiach though it is not mentioned specifically as "The Messiah".
I believe the redeemer is "This spirit of truth" from Hashem  that will prour out upon the world not long before The Messiahs coming! In order that they will be prepared for Him!
(11-13-2020, 04:38 PM)Jason Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 04:49 AM)Ismq Wrote: Then you don't believe in plenary what says the tanakh about the messiah.

I don't appreciate you trying to make the conversation revolve around what I believe. Nothing being discussed here hinges on if I believe it or not. My personal beliefs are none of your business.

The conversation is about what the text says, not about whether or not I believe what the text says. I prefer to interpret texts according to their contents. I approach the New Testament the same way, and I don't believe a word in it. (I'm even of the opinion that the likelihood of there having been an historical Jesus is slim to none.) That doesn't mean that I cannot read, understand, and discuss the New Testament documents. And my personal beliefs about those questions will not come into account as far as they are not relevant to the meaning of an ancient text.

Therefore, I would ask that you stop trying to put me in some corner. I'm not interested in playing that game.
There's believers in judaism that don't believe plenary in the tanakh?
(11-23-2020, 11:35 PM)Ismq Wrote: There's believers in judaism that don't believe plenary in the tanakh?

You seem surprised. 

Would I be out of order if I suggested that your knowledge of Judaism is less than complete?
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(11-24-2020, 01:54 AM)RabbiO Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 11:35 PM)Ismq Wrote: There's believers in judaism that don't believe plenary in the tanakh?

You seem surprised. 

Would I be out of order if I suggested that your knowledge of Judaism is less than complete?
Answer my question.please.
(11-24-2020, 02:04 AM)Ismq Wrote:

You seem surprised. 

Answer my question.

The answer to your question is - Yes, especially if you mean in the sense of literally true.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(11-24-2020, 02:14 AM)RabbiO Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:04 AM)Ismq Wrote:

You seem surprised. 

Answer my question.

The answer to your question is - Yes, especially if you mean in the sense of literally true.
the torah is believed plenary isn't it?
(11-24-2020, 02:29 AM)Ismq Wrote: the torah is believed plenary isn't it?

There are plenty of Jews who believe in the principles of Jewish philosophy and even in Divine Religion who do not believe that the Bible is literally true or that it is a direct revelation. This question, as you've worded it, doesn't make any sense, though.