The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help to understand
Shalom, we read in Job 1:20: 'At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. 
Then he fell to the ground in worship' when he had learned about his family members having been killed. 
It was very tragic for him of course. 

My question is why did Job shave his head when the verse in Leviticus states the following: 'Do not cut the hair at the sides 
of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.'- Leviticus 19:27?

I have heard that the reason the command in Leviticus 19:27 was given is because the pagans of that time cut their hair in a pagan ritual for their dead. Why did Job shave his head in that instance when the verse says one ought not to?

thank you and blessings.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Thanks for your question.

I don't have an answer for you but hopefully someone else here may chime in.
Why would he not? Was Job under Torah law? Was Job Jewish?
(12-20-2020, 01:33 AM)andrewlya Wrote: Shalom, we read in Job 1:20: 'At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. 
Then he fell to the ground in worship' when he had learned about his family members having been killed. 
It was very tragic for him of course. 

My question is why did Job shave his head when the verse in Leviticus states the following: 'Do not cut the hair at the sides 
of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.'- Leviticus 19:27?

I have heard that the reason the command in Leviticus 19:27 was given is because the pagans of that time cut their hair in a pagan ritual for their dead. Why did Job shave his head in that instance when the verse says one ought not to?

thank you and blessings.
Forbidden under the law of the jews leviticus 21:5 deutoronomy 14:1 but widely practised by the gentiles isaiah 15:2 jeremiah 47:5 and 48:37.