The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G-d in Judaism
The absolute finest I've ever read and refer to often comes from the book A Code of Jewish Ethics - Volume 1 - You Shall Be Holy - By Rabbi Joseph Telushkin.  For me the book defines what it means to love G-d and subsequently how to love others.  To quote a small section of the jacket that stood out,  "Vast in scope, this volume distills more than three thousand years of Jewish laws and suggestions on how to improve one's character and become more honest, decent, and just."
(03-19-2021, 02:02 PM)RabbiO Wrote: Would it help if I pointed out that to the ancient Israelites the heart was not the seat of human emotion?

Would it help if I pointed out that one needs to understand what the word “love” meant in the covenantal - suzerainty - treaties back in the day?

That is what I didn't understand. How can an emotion be commanded? It helps me indeed that the heart was not the seat of human emotion. Now I have more questions than before. What does that actually mean, love with thine heart, soul and might?

And I can not put love into the context of covenantal - suzerainty - treaties. One thing I know is, that a wife called her husband Lord - that could be a kind of love that is meant here. But I have no idea what that has to do with love. Is it possible to translate of the word "love"what it meant back then into our modern world and language?
(03-19-2021, 02:21 PM)Dana Wrote: The absolute finest I've ever read and refer to often comes from the book A Code of Jewish Ethics - Volume 1 - You Shall Be Holy - By Rabbi Joseph Telushkin.  For me the book defines what it means to love G-d and subsequently how to love others.  To quote a small section of the jacket that stood out,  "Vast in scope, this volume distills more than three thousand years of Jewish laws and suggestions on how to improve one's character and become more honest, decent, and just."

That sounds good. I just ordered it, it will probably be here by the middle of April. Thanks for this title. Haven't read many books in English and hope I will understand.
(03-19-2021, 03:14 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 02:21 PM)Dana Wrote: The absolute finest I've ever read and refer to often comes from the book A Code of Jewish Ethics - Volume 1 - You Shall Be Holy - By Rabbi Joseph Telushkin.  For me the book defines what it means to love G-d and subsequently how to love others.  To quote a small section of the jacket that stood out,  "Vast in scope, this volume distills more than three thousand years of Jewish laws and suggestions on how to improve one's character and become more honest, decent, and just."

That sounds good. I just ordered it, it will probably be here by the middle of April. Thanks for this title. Haven't read many books in English and hope I will understand.

Your English is very good and from that, what I've read,  you should be able to understand the book.  I'm glad you purchased it and I know you won't be disappointed.  What I've found to be so helpful with the stories and lessons, and they are kept relatively short, is that he draws from every moral dilemma and human emotion you can imagine and answers with the essence of Judaism.  A book for contemporary times.  A book for today with the wisdom of Judaism.   I hope you'll love it as much as I do.
(03-19-2021, 03:52 PM)Dana Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 03:14 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:

Your English is very good and from that, what I've read,  you should be able to understand the book.  I'm glad you purchased it and I know you won't be disappointed.  What I've found to be so helpful with the stories and lessons, and they are kept relatively short, is that he draws from every moral dilemma and human emotion you can imagine and answers with the essence of Judaism.  A book for contemporary times.  A book for today with the wisdom of Judaism.   I hope you'll love it as much as I do.

I'm a litte impatient to get the book. From what you write, I will love it. To have someone who has words for what is going on in me and then guides through good teaching is precious. I also like short chapters, that makes it easier to understand. Thanks for your encouragement that I can read the book. 

שַׁבָּת שָׁלוֹם