The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diacritical Signs
Can anyone tell me the difference between חֲלֹ֔ום and חלום

When writing the word "dream" by itself, is there a reason to include the diacritical signs?
The two dots above the lamed (ל֔) are not part of the word itself. They are the musical notation called "zaqef qaton." The word with its vowels is חֲלוֹם. The word without its vowels is חלום. The vowels ("niqud") are included in biblical text, as is the musical notation (which changes on a word depending on its phrase). Vowels are used in texts to help people read. They aren't necessarily part of the word itself.
(07-01-2021, 07:03 AM)Jason Wrote: The two dots above the lamed (ל֔) are not part of the word itself. They are the musical notation called "zaqef qaton." The word with its vowels is חֲלוֹם. The word without its vowels is חלום. The vowels ("niqud") are included in biblical text, as is the musical notation (which changes on a word depending on its phrase). Vowels are used in texts to help people read. They aren't necessarily part of the word itself.
Hmm...I don't see my reply to you. I'll try again.

If one were to put this word on a plaque and hang it on the wall, as in a piece of art, would one write the word with or without the vowels included?
Hello Jess and welcome to the forum.

The reason you didn't see your reply is because the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I think you have 3 posts now so you should be good to go!
(07-01-2021, 10:30 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello Jess and welcome to the forum.

The reason you didn't see your reply is because the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I think you have 3 posts now so you should be good to go!

Ah! Okay, thank you!
(07-01-2021, 09:28 PM)Jess Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 07:03 AM)Jason Wrote: The two dots above the lamed (ל֔) are not part of the word itself. They are the musical notation called "zaqef qaton." The word with its vowels is חֲלוֹם. The word without its vowels is חלום. The vowels ("niqud") are included in biblical text, as is the musical notation (which changes on a word depending on its phrase). Vowels are used in texts to help people read. They aren't necessarily part of the word itself.

If one were to put this word on a plaque and hang it on the wall, as in a piece of art, would one write the word with or without the vowels included?

I'd do it without the dots (חלום).
(07-02-2021, 07:08 PM)Jason Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 09:28 PM)Jess Wrote:

I'd do it without the dots (חלום).

Okay, thank you for your advice. :-)