The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why is judaism better about keeping out the losers?
Well, my experience has been almost exclusively within the Reform and Conservative movements. I've attended some various Orthodox synagogues in Israel from time to time. I've been to an egalitarian Orthodox synagogue here in Tel Aviv a few times, which I quite enjoy. They have women participate in the various parts of the prayer service, even in the Torah blessings and readings! I believe in egalitarianism, and if Orthodoxy were more open in that regard, I would be more interested in it.

I used to be more observant than I am today, and I would wear tsitsit and kippah in public everywhere. I grew up in Missouri, and being visibly Jewish in Missouri can lead to some odd situations. My first time in Israel (in 2004), the thing that really touched me was seeing Jewish people participate in every type of life. The bus driver wore a kippah! The difference really hit me, and I knew that I was going to move to Israel in the end. I never felt at home in Missouri — though NYC did eventually become somewhat of a second home for me for about five years, and I would have been happy to live there.

I'd suggest that you pick up Essential Judaism by George Robinson and Choosing a Jewish Life by Anita Diamant.

Be aware that the Judaism in America is still evolving. What most Orthodox people think of as "Reform" doesn't reflect what Reform Judaism is today. The Reform started as a rebellion against tradition. That's still called "Classical Reform," and they don't even use Hebrew in their prayer service. It is that type of Judaism that has caused the opposition within Orthodoxy for the past generation. The modern Reform Movement does indeed teach equal access and inclusion for women and LGBT people, but they are becoming more and more observant in their outward observance. Before I left Missouri, we were doing a Sunday morning minyan in the Reform temple in which men and women were meeting and laying tefillin in morning services. That represents a huge change in the perspective of Reform Judaism!

Long term, I can imagine the Conservative Movement dividing up. The more liberal side will merge with the Reform group, and the more conservative will merge with Modern Orthodoxy. The distinctions are becoming smaller in the general populace (at least, that's what I was sensing).

Maybe someone here sees things differently in their communities, especially because I've been cut off for a while (having lived in Israel for the past 13 years).

Messages In This Thread
RE: why is judaism better about keeping out the losers? - by Jason - 09-30-2020, 03:55 AM