The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preparation of the Passover Lamb
Hello, I am new and wanted to understand the culture of Judaism as I find it very fascinating. I was Read the Old Testament of the Bible and wondered why a lamb was needed to be used as a sacrifice.
Apart from the reason it was to liberate the Israelite who were under the oppression of Pharoah, I did some digging and saw certain laws explained that fact that animal” blood “Lambs/Goats” were used as a means for forgiving ones person’s sins. (I hope I am right)

Certain things I feel Are not clear in the Bible. I am a Christian by the way. I would like to know: when the Passover lambs are being prepared before Passover. They have to go thru inspection to be found spotless and unblemished to be used for Passover. (I read in few articles on the web) that the preparations for the Passover lamb was chosen 4 days prior to be sacrificed. According to the preparation, does the lamb’s feet and ankles get oiled (anoint) prior to Passover day? Lastly the head of the goat will be oiled (anoint) too to signify it has been checked as unblemished? Is there such a thing?
Hello Jon and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

Thanks for your question.

The answer isn't a simple one as there are several types of sin and many different offerings. Here is just a small example -

If the priest sins, he's supposed to bring a bull. (Lev 4:3)
If the community sins collectively, they are to bring a bull. (Lev 4:14)
If a leader of the people sins, he is to bring a male goat. (Lev 4:23)
If a member of the community sins, he is to bring a female goat. (Lev 4:28)
If they don't have a goat and can bring a lamb, it must be a female. (Lev 4:32

Plus, the offering was only part of the process.

The paschal lamb had nothing to do with sin, it was a way of defying the Egyptians by showing them we are going to kill one of their pagan gods. Similar to how the other plagues showed their other pagans gods were useless.

Never heard of anointing the lamb/goat, but the Hebrew bible is very specific on ALL of the things that had to take place.

Yes, everything had to take place, not just one or two of the actions listed.

(JPT)

Exodus 12 -

3- Speak to the entire community of Israel, saying, "On the tenth of this month, let each one take a lamb for each parental home, a lamb for each household.

4 - But if the household is too small for a lamb, then he and his neighbor who is nearest to his house shall take [one] according to the number of people, each one according to one's ability to eat, shall you be counted for the lamb.

5- You shall have a perfect male lamb in its [first] year; you may take it either from the sheep or from the goats.

6 - And you shall keep it for inspection until the fourteenth day of this month, and the entire congregation of the community of Israel shall slaughter it in the afternoon

7 - And they shall take [some] of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel, on the houses in which they will eat it.

8 - And on this night, they shall eat the flesh, roasted over the fire, and unleavened cakes; with bitter herbs they shall eat it

9 - You shall not eat it rare or boiled in water, except roasted over the fire its head with its legs and with its innards.

10 - And you shall not leave over any of it until morning, and whatever is left over of it until morning, you shall burn in fire

11 - And this is how you shall eat it: your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you shall eat it in haste it is a Passover sacrifice to the Lord.

So, as you can clearly see, this type of sacrifice was very different than any type of sin offering.

Each offering is unique and specific, whether it is for different types of sins, forgiveness, thanksgiving or anything else.

The instructions needed to be followed.

So what is the basis of your question?
Hmmm, wondering if this is another case of "hit and run".
Thanks for the info, I am just busy. Not hit and run^^. I come on as often as I can.  Big Grin

This website: 
I was reading spoke about what I was asking earlier but somehow wasn’t emphasized 

Web: http://tritonubf.com/blog/significance-j...inted-oil/

Content: Picking the Passover sheep

Passover sheep were picked six days ahead of time. This enabled them to be gotten, regularly into the family home and reviewed for five days. They were assessed to guarantee that they were free from flaw, including the legs, lower legs, and feet, as they are effectively harmed or set apart in the rough slopes. Now, the would take the blessing oil and rub it into the lower legs and feet, precede them being assessed for a further 5 days.
So six days before the Passover, Jesus is at somebody’s home in Bethany and He is blessed for internment by having unadulterated nard rubbed on His feet and lower legs. That was His first blessing preceding His execution.
The second blessing happens two days before Passover. The Passover sheep was blessed this second time on their make a beeline for declaring that they were free from sickness or flaw. This is as opposed to the first run through which was on their feet six days prior. The head of Jesus was blessed two days before He was executed and was an indication that He was well, without ailment or deformity.
The main Passover sheep blessing was on the feet six days before Passover; the second blessing was on the head two days prior, and after that, the Passover sheep were relinquished on Passover (which is Nissan 14) from the ninth hour. 

I know in Judaism somehow the view that the Passover lamb represents Jesus is rejected. I am only wondering as I asked previously was there such a custom of applying oil to the lambs ankles /feet something that is done prior to slaughtering of a lamb on Passover?

Hope can help me on that. Cos I don’t see such a thing mentioned in the Old Testament

Thanks!
Sorry about that, just didn't see you online for several days so I didn't know if you were going to return.

Thanks for your response.

I know nothing of and cannot find anything of such a custom.

I'm curious as to their source for this.

Not sure why you say "somehow" the view that the Passover lamb represents Jesus is rejected.

It's pretty clear in the Hebrew bible the Passover lamb represented a false Egyptian god. I don't think Christians want to associate Jesus to that!

There is absolutely nothing in the Passover story that relates to sin.
Quote:I know in Judaism somehow the view that the Passover lamb represents Jesus is rejected. I am only wondering as I asked previously was there such a custom of applying oil to the lambs ankles /feet something that is done prior to slaughtering of a lamb on Passover?

First, you should be aware that no one in our generation or for many generations prior has performed the Passover sacrifice. I have never read anything about oil being applied to the lamb's feet or anything similar to that. I'd be interested in knowing where you heard of such a thing.

Honestly, it sounds like Christians took the NT statement that Jesus' feet were washed with the woman's hair/tears and applied it backwards onto the concept of the paschal lamb. It's like claiming that there was a prophecy that said the Messiah would come from Nazareth. Completely made up.

Secondly, the how and why of the Jewish rejection of Jesus is clear. I don't think that "somehow" is a valid word for that sentence. "I know [that] in Judaism the view that the Passover lamb represents Jesus is rejected." That would have been sufficient. We know why we reject Jesus, and if you don't know why, we'll be happy to tell you.
Thanks for replying. Just making sure the website is fabricating things I think. So my question is pretty much cleared up.! I’ll reply to the other person too thanks!
Hi Jason, thanks for joining in the discussion. Yes I’ll be happy to hear why. I attend bible study classes and the preacher do reference from the Old Testament pointing to Jesus Christ. Wait it’s in my notes... 
ok

Here are some verses 

Isaiah 7:14 talks about a child being born of a virgin
Isaiah 9:6 child being born call the Father 

I am not here to prove Christianity just fyi. I genuinely want to know why, like u said would reject Jesus. Thanks for previous reply to my question  Smile
I can say that one of the big issues here is that in Christianity, several separate things are (in my opinion) inappropriately conflated in Jesus.

The scapegoat

Korban (that is, temple sacrifice)

The Passover Lamb

And the slaughtered bull which Moses sprinkled on the people to form the covenant with HaShem.

The Passover lambs were not killed in order to remit sins and, to the best of my knowledge, korbanot weren't chiefly used that way. There's a bunch of rules involved with korban, anyway since, when it DOES remit sins, it's only in very narrow contexts and it never, to the best of my knowledge, ever expiates a sin unless you've already made some kinds of amends before offering it. But that's neither here nor there since there is no temple, sadly, and there is no korban.
(07-15-2019, 10:15 AM)Jon Wrote: Here are some verses 

Isaiah 7:14 talks about a child being born of a virgin
Isaiah 9:6 child being born call the Father 

No. This is wrong. There is no word "virgin" in Isaiah 7:14. The Hebrew word for "virgin" is בְּתוּלָה bəṯûlâ, but the word in that verse is עַלְמָה ʿalmâ. It is the feminine form of עֶ֫לֶם ʿɛ́lɛm, which clearly means "young man." There is nothing there to indicate that a virgin is having a baby.

You've similarly misunderstood Isaiah 9:6, which is talking about the birth of the next king. The next king would be a righteous king, whereas his father was wicked.

Neither of these are messianic prophecies.