The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General: Book recommendations / discussions
For those interested, my Costco does not carry the book, nor could I find it on Costco.com. Since Costco stores do not carry 100% identical merchandise it may be that one person's store is carrying the book, but someone else's does not. I know, for example, that a few locations have kosher bakeries, but most do not.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
It may be that inventory varies from store to store, or maybe it's so popular it sold out!
I just looked at my Costco and they do not have the book either Sad.
I'm going to start a new thread here regarding a book study for it.
Looks like Rabbi Jonathan Sacks has completed his collection of the 5 books of Moses.

Will be getting my copy soon to complete my collection.

https://www.amazon.com/Covenant-Conversa...1KYNRWS40P&keywords=rabbi+jonathan+sacks+books&qid=1563573994&s=books&sprefix=rabbi+jon%2Caps%2C143&sr=1-1

[Image: 51rYUnxyhML._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
I really enjoyed reading Steve Herzig's Jewish Culture and Customs, this was especially useful to me because i wasn't raised in faith. My parents were leaning towards atheism though they did teach me basic historical truths about being a jewish and also a lot of understanding of how i should be proud of my identity. I have been reading Hebrew textbooks to learn but am in a very early stages. I have been mostly looking at Suzanne Jacob's series. I was also interested in the sociological and anthropological studies of religion so have read some comparative essays about religions too. I especially found the anthology on The Anthropology of Religions very helpful. I am also combing through this thread to see all the other recommended books. Thanks, folks!
(04-02-2020, 08:50 AM)ellisael Wrote: I really enjoyed reading Steve Herzig's Jewish Culture and Customs, this was especially useful to me because i wasn't raised in faith. 

Whoa, you're reading a Christian, although born a Jew, who is in charge of North American missions for the so-called Friends of Israel?

Were you not aware that this is an organization whose purpose is to convert Jews to Christianity?
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(04-02-2020, 04:45 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 08:50 AM)ellisael Wrote: I really enjoyed reading Steve Herzig's Jewish Culture and Customs, this was especially useful to me because i wasn't raised in faith. 

Whoa, you're reading a Christian, although born a Jew, who is in charge of North American missions for the so-called Friends of Israel?

Were you not aware that this is an organization whose purpose is to convert Jews to Christianity?

Hi, so i would describe myself as a learner of religions at this point. I have an eclectic practice of faith that i have picked up from various spaces. I wasn't aware of the group having a single aim. However, with your permission, i am interested in staying and learning from the discussions taking place here.
(04-02-2020, 06:10 PM)ellisael Wrote:

Hi, so i would describe myself as a learner of religions at this point. I have an eclectic practice of faith that i have picked up from various spaces. I wasn't aware of the group having a single aim. However, with your permission, i am interested in staying and learning from the discussions taking place here.
We look forward to your participation!
(04-02-2020, 06:10 PM)ellisael Wrote:

Of course Lisa, you are most welcome to stay.

Let us know what questions you have and we'll do our best to answer them. If we cannot, we have many resources that might be able to help.

Smile
Hi, Lisa.

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding SMR's comment about the Christian nature of that site... we believe that the two religions (Christianity and Judaism) are distinct and should be maintained separately. It is a bad thing in our view that Christians spend lots of money, time and energy on the conversion of Jewish people to their religion. That's why we feel the need to point these things out — so that other people on the forum do not think that these are Jewish sources and go wandering after Christianity and Jesus (which are definitionally not Jewish).

You're free to believe and think whatever you have become convinced of in your life, but we just want to make sure that our users know that this is a Christian resource that you've shared (not a Jewish one).

In today's world of salad bar theology, it seems weird that we make a distinction. But this is how the Jewish identity is maintained. We remain Jews because we refuse to become Christians. I hope this makes sense to you.

Regards,
Jason