The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does Luke add a verse that is not there?
(05-12-2023, 04:36 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(05-11-2023, 08:08 PM)veil23 Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 08:41 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Luke 4:16-18 -

16 - He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read,
17 - and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
18 - “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,

19 - to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.

20 - Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21- He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

Isaiah 61-1 from where it was said he was reading from -

The spirit of the Lord God was upon me, since the Lord anointed me to bring tidings to the humble, He sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to declare freedom for the captives, and for the prisoners to free from captivity.

To declare a year of acceptance for the Lord and a day of vengeance for our God, to console all mourners

Serious question -

Why and how is it that "and recovery of sight for the blind" is added?

It clearly isn't written anywhere in Isaiah 61.

Why does the Christian bible say "Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:" when something was added that is not written there at all?

It is written explicitly in Isaiah 35 and 42 and again in 49 (in context).  When Yeshua read Isaiah 61 he added the line because it was indeed written (yes elsewhere in Isaiah) and I have heard that "it is written" can be used when talking about the fulfillment of prophecy as opposed to a "line by line" exact representation.  Whether you agree with Yeshua or not He is citing Isaiah and the Hebrew scriptures correctly, in what they say.

That's not what is actually happening here.

Sine when do we "add a line" to a portion we are reading?

Luke doesn't say "I have heard that it is written", it says "and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written".

Where is that weeks portion written? In Isaiah 61. It doesn't say "as it is also written in ..............."

You are grasping at straws. And they have holes in them so you're getting too much air.
Hey, you add the whole Oral Torah and all Yeshua did was add an an existing line from earlier in the scroll (LOl!).
And by "weeks portion" are you referring to Lev 25:8??
(05-12-2023, 05:32 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 04:36 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: You are grasping at straws. And they have holes in them so you're getting too much air.

Air can save your life when you are underwater.

I can't argue with that Smile  
G-d breathed life into Adam but G-d does not breathe air (something He created to begin with so why would he) so what was it He breathed
into Adam?  As Deut 8:3 says Man does not live by air alone but by by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of G-d.  That is what saves your life.