The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anti-semitism in Europe
(03-06-2019, 03:55 AM)Steven Jonaitis Wrote: It appears that anti-semetism was what influenced Herzl to encourage people to move to the Jewish state as a response to the Jewish question. As much as I don't support the modern state, I do believe it is better for the Jewry to move there.

When you say that you "don't support the modern state" does that mean that you oppose it?  Or are you merely neutral about it?  And, if you oppose Israel, then why do you believe that it is better for "the Jewry to move there"?

I'm not asking these questions as any sort of attack on your personal views.  I'm genuinely curious and trying to understand what you are saying here.
Heart !לחיים

(03-06-2019, 04:46 PM)Channalee Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 03:55 AM)Steven Jonaitis Wrote: It appears that anti-semetism was what influenced Herzl to encourage people to move to the Jewish state as a response to the Jewish question. As much as I don't support the modern state, I do believe it is better for the Jewry to move there.

When you say that you "don't support the modern state" does that mean that you oppose it?  Or are you merely neutral about it?  And, if you oppose Israel, then why do you believe that it is better for "the Jewry to move there"?

I'm not asking these questions as any sort of attack on your personal views.  I'm genuinely curious and trying to understand what you are saying here.

It is a little difficult to explain here in one single post. My opposing views on the modern state is theological (as a Christian), and not so much political as many would want to argue. I believe it is good for this state to exist for the preservation of the Jewish people, but I don't personally see it in light of some sort of "right" that use to exist in the ancient times. I personally feel that all should move there, but that doesn't mean I affirm that the land is theirs by divine right. If I agree to this, then I must consistently agree to what is the very antithesis to my own religion.

If I am still unclear, you can always message me too...
"All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations." - Psalm 22:17-28

Historically Protestant, Confessionally Reformed, Theologically Baptist.
(03-07-2019, 02:31 AM)Steven Jonaitis Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 04:46 PM)Channalee Wrote:

It is a little difficult to explain here in one single post. My opposing views on the modern state is theological (as a Christian), and not so much political as many would want to argue. I believe it is good for this state to exist for the preservation of the Jewish people, but I don't personally see it in light of some sort of "right" that use to exist in the ancient times. I personally feel that all should move there, but that doesn't mean I affirm that the land is theirs by divine right. If I agree to this, then I must consistently agree to what is the very antithesis to my own religion.

If I am still unclear, you can always message me too...

I'm not certain that any nation on earth has ever had a "divine right" to the land upon which it was founded.  But I am certain that, once established, a nation has a right to continue existing.
Heart !לחיים

(03-07-2019, 03:31 AM)Channalee Wrote: I'm not certain that any nation on earth has ever had a "divine right" to the land upon which it was founded.  But I am certain that, once established, a nation has a right to continue existing.

There are some, I tell you, who do believe this.
"All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations." - Psalm 22:17-28

(03-07-2019, 02:31 AM)Steven Jonaitis Wrote: ... I personally feel that all should move there, but ... [emphasis added - nili]

Steven, the above struck me as odd at best, if only because it's so compatible with a call for a Judenfrei homeland.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
(03-07-2019, 12:46 PM)nili Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 02:31 AM)Steven Jonaitis Wrote: ... I personally feel that all should move there, but ... [emphasis added - nili]

Steven, the above struck me as odd at best, if only because it's so compatible with a call for a Judenfrei homeland.

Nili, in the original context of that coined phrase, it would best serve the opposite end result of what I wrote.

To add a perspective to the original question

Quote:How alarmed do you think European Jews should be about the rise of Anti-semitism ?

I think it depends on where in Europe you live. I can offer a perspective from Germany since I live in Berlin. From my observation and also the recommendations of Rabbis and Jewish organisations, it is currently not safe to publicly display any symbols or practices related to Judaism in some areas.  I would honestly not regard Berlin as a safe place to be openly jewish - some areas are more diverse than others. But others are worse. I live in Moabit, a district that has a very high population of Arabs, comparable to Neukölln. The culture here is more arab than anything else (Shisha bars, food, mosques, women in headscarves and the occasional burqua). That's not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of people probably also just want to live in peace and don't care much about other beliefs, and there is also an active exchange between the three abrahamic religions. But there are also many palestinian arabs and they are very vocal and confrontative about their hatred towards Israel. Here is an article (I ran it through google translate for you, hope it works), there is an annual "Al Quds"-day, with pro-palestinian protests. The problem is that the majority of those protesters do not distinguish between politics and religion; they don't just criticize the state. They openly display hatred towards Jews. Flags were repeatedly burnt in front of the Brandenburg gate. 

These aren't some lonely protesters, they do have a lot of backing within the arab-muslim population and this part is also prone to violent solutions and scare tactics. It is not only a problem for Jews, also for any reformistic streaks of Islam - there is one brave female who established an egalitarian Mosque, where women and men are allowed to pray non-separated and she lives hidden, protected by police and able to move in public only in disguise. This is the impression that can be obtained by simply living here and reading the local papers, but there are also some more in-depth analysis of the scenario. For example, Ahmad Mansour (an israeli born arab) has written some books about how integration attempts took a wrong direction in the past and what would need to change in order to really create a society that emphasizes peacefulness.

Attacks have tripled within the last year

This is one side. The other is historical hatred, or at least, discomfort. Stereotypes of Jews still exist. Most modern Germans are very eager to combat anti-semitism and show solidarity (for example, there were a few neo-nazis trying to protest on 9th of November of all dates and thousands came to hinder their march, last week we had an election planned for a district council, one candidate was a known anti-semite and so many people showed up to vote that they did not all fit the venue and the election had to be postponed - a lot of people also wanted to be set up for election just to make sure the populist did not win). 

But some people still have weird ideas about Judaism. About one third of all Germans agreed to statements such as "Jews have too much influence" and for example in her book "Schonzeit vorbei", Juna Grossmann describes her daily experiences with subtle and not so subtle anti-semitism. She works in the Jewish museum and had people approach her just in order to blame Jews for everything, some threatened her, insulting her. So, while that does not necessarily endanger everyone Jewish, it shows that a culture exists that maybe rejects actions such as the Al-Quds day and violent attacks, but that in part still thinks along the lines of "if everyone hates them, maybe there is some reason for that".

From a safety perspective, I think leaving places such as Germany for Israel might allow someone to live their religion visibly and freely. 

From a societal perspective, it would be a loss, for Germany and Europe. Anti-semitism is also on the rise because nearly no one even knows any jewish people. Very few people have an idea what Judaism even means, what the religion and culture entails and what not. If you'd ask an average person on the street, they would probably say something like "they think they are the chosen ones, don't accept outsiders and control the media and finance". Therefore, the only chance to heal as a society in that regard lies within having an active and openly visible Jewish community. However, I am really not sure if we as a society have maybe already passed the point where this option would have been a possibility. Sadly.

On April first, I attend a panel discussion about anti-semitism in the post-migrant society. I might write about the talk if you're interested and if it can add any new points to this discussion.
(03-21-2019, 09:49 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: On April first, I attend a panel discussion about anti-semitism in the post-migrant society. I might write about the talk if you're interested and if it can add any new points to this discussion.

I would be very interested!  Thank you writing about what you've observed about what is happening in Europe.  It's disturbing, and I know that I'm mostly untouched by what's happening in Europe because I live in New York where the Jewish community is active and openly visible.  (As you wrote:  "Therefore, the only chance to heal as a society in that regard lies within having an active and openly visible Jewish community.")  We also have members of other religious communities who are openly visible – it's not at all unusual to see Muslim women in hijabs or Sikhs in turbans shopping in stores here.

But I know that I don't live in a utopia, and antisemitism is on the rise even where I live, making up two-thirds of all reported hate crimes in New York City.  Hate crimes in general have increased by 72 percent over last year (as reported by the NYC Police Dept).  I understand that hate crimes are on the rise across the U.S., as well. 

It's a deeply disturbing trend, and we've got to find solutions for it that don't feed the hate.
Heart !לחיים

(03-21-2019, 09:49 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: On April first, I attend a panel discussion about anti-semitism in the post-migrant society. I might write about the talk if you're interested and if it can add any new points to this discussion.

This is a great book: https://www.amazon.com/Why-Jews-Antisemi...0743246209

It may be a bit late to mention it. But I recommend it to everyone.
(03-21-2019, 10:58 PM)Baruch Wrote: This is a great book: https://www.amazon.com/Why-Jews-Antisemi...0743246209

It may be a bit late to mention it. But I recommend it to everyone.

Thanks, Baruch.  I just bought the Kindle edition on your recommendation.
Heart !לחיים