The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two spellings for same word?
I have a question about a Hebrew word that I'm pretty sure someone here can answer for me.

Can the feminine Hebrew word for "pure" (טהורה) also be spelled: טהרה

That's without the vav?
Heart !לחיים

Yes, it can be טְהֹרָה or טְהוֹרָה. The first is called "defective."

As it is, though, we should probably read it as טָהֳרָה as a noun ("purity") instead of טְהֹרָה as an adjective ("pure").
(02-23-2019, 10:38 PM)Jason Wrote: Yes, it can be טְהֹרָה or טְהוֹרָה. The first is called "defective."

As it is, though, we should probably read it as טָהֳרָה as a noun ("purity") instead of טְהֹרָה as an adjective ("pure").

Thanks, Jason!  I came across this word as a possible given name, and noticed it was spelled two different ways (from two different sources).  How would you transliterate it into English?   I'm guessing "Tehurah"?  I think it makes a lovely name.
Heart !לחיים

(02-23-2019, 10:44 PM)Channalee Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 10:38 PM)Jason Wrote: Yes, it can be טְהֹרָה or טְהוֹרָה. The first is called "defective."

Thanks, Jason!  I came across this word as a possible given name, and noticed it was spelled two different ways (from two different sources).  How would you transliterate it into English?   I'm guessing "Tehurah"?  I think it makes a lovely name.

So, for example, ...

In Genesis 7:2 we have ...

Quote:מִכֹּ֣ל ׀ הַבְּהֵמָ֣ה הַטְּהוֹרָ֗ה תִּֽקַּח־לְךָ֛ שִׁבְעָ֥ה שִׁבְעָ֖ה אִ֣ישׁ וְאִשְׁתּ֑וֹ וּמִן־הַבְּהֵמָ֡ה אֲ֠שֶׁר לֹ֣א טְהֹרָ֥ה הִ֛וא שְׁנַ֖יִם אִ֥ישׁ וְאִשְׁתּֽוֹ׃

while in Malachi 1:11 we see ...

Quote:כִּ֣י מִמִּזְרַח־שֶׁ֜מֶשׁ וְעַד־מְבוֹא֗וֹ גָּד֤וֹל שְׁמִי֙ בַּגּוֹיִ֔ם וּבְכָל־מָק֗וֹם מֻקְטָ֥ר מֻגָּ֛שׁ לִשְׁמִ֖י וּמִנְחָ֣ה טְהוֹרָ֑ה כִּֽי־גָד֤וֹל שְׁמִי֙ בַּגּוֹיִ֔ם אָמַ֖ר יְהוָ֥ה צְבָאֽוֹת׃

As @Jason noted, we are dealing with orthographic differences - in this case differences between 'plene' and 'defective' spelling - rather than changes in pronunciation.

By the way, it turns out that there is a debate under way on the degree to which such differences may inform the relative dating of biblical texts, giving us articles such as this, from Aaron Hornkohl. The following quote is more or less representative ...

Quote:E. דויד dwyd vs. דוד dwd ‘David’

Works thought to have been written before the Persian period exhibit a strong preference for the defective spelling; note, e.g., the proportion of defective to plene spellings in Samuel (576:0), Kings (93:3), Isaiah (10:0), Jeremiah (15:0), Ezekiel (3:1), whereas only Restoration- or post-Restoration period texts contain a significant proportion of plene spellings, e.g., Zechariah (0:6), Ezra-Nehemiah (0:10), Chronicles (0:265). The use of the plene spelling is also characteristic of post-biblical sources, though the defective spelling shows up in a minority of occurrences as well. 38 Consider, for example, the proportion of defective to plene spellings in the biblical DSS (16:81) and the non-biblical DSS (1:26).

Finally, for what little it's worth, I would pronounce both words as T'horah with the emphasis on the last syllable.

Shavua tov.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
Very interesting – thank you!

nili Wrote:Finally, for what little it's worth, I would pronounce both words as T'horah with the emphasis on the last syllable.

And thank you for that, too.  What I'm looking for are English transliterations of Hebrew words that make attractive given names (by generally English-speaking standards).  While "T'horah" is no doubt an accurate rendering that you gave me, it doesn't really work that well for what I had in mind.  "Tehora" or "Tehorah" would be closer to what I'm looking for, but I don't know whether that would be considered an acceptable, alternate transliteration.  "Tehura" and "Tehurah" are even better but, again, are these acceptable, alternate transliterations?
Heart !לחיים

(02-24-2019, 10:22 PM)Channalee Wrote: Very interesting – thank you!

nili Wrote:Finally, for what little it's worth, I would pronounce both words as T'horah with the emphasis on the last syllable.

And thank you for that, too.  What I'm looking for are English transliterations of Hebrew words that make attractive given names (by generally English-speaking standards).  While "T'horah" is no doubt an accurate rendering that you gave me, it doesn't really work that well for what I had in mind.  "Tehora" or "Tehorah" would be closer to what I'm looking for, but I don't know whether that would be considered an acceptable, alternate transliteration.  "Tehura" and "Tehurah" are even better but, again, are these acceptable, alternate transliterations?

I believe that the Hebrew word that you have in mind is טְהוֹרָה.

T'horah seems the best transliteration since it most accurately reflects the שְׁוָא. Next best would be Tehorah. The others represent not alternative transliterations (they are not) but questionable spellings. One might just as well name the child Pyuwer.

On the other hand, whether the chosen 'transliteration' is "Tehora" or "Tehorah" or "Tehura" or "Tehurah," her peers will no doubt call her Teho (which, as we all know, is urban slang for "to each her own"). Big Grin
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
(02-25-2019, 03:48 AM)nili Wrote: On the other hand, whether the chosen 'transliteration' is "Tehora" or "Tehorah" or "Tehura" or "Tehurah," her peers will no doubt call her Teho (which, as we all know, is urban slang for "to each her own").  Big Grin

Haha!  That adds another layer to the meaning of the name Tehora that makes it even more appealing (to me).  TEHO! Cool
Heart !לחיים