The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: The Life of the Synagogue
Hey everyone,

I was listening to this sermon the other day, and the speaker briefly touched on the history of Jewish life after the Babylonian exile, spending most of that time on the function of the synagogue, since the subject was about certain struggles and issues within the early church between the Hellenist Jews and those that resided in Jerusalem. Obviously, the church services we Christians have are modeled after the functions of the synagogue, for we read in the Christian Scriptures that converted Jews turned their synagogues into the first churches of that time. But, what he discussed was really interesting, since I never studied much about it. One of the key things he said was that the purpose of the synagogue was to preserve Jewish life after the exile, to help the community where there were needs, and to stimulate practical living in accord to G-d's law. Whereas the Temple was the place of worship, the synagogue was to bring encourage and fellowship within the Jewish community. It was interesting, he began to show the various functions of the church-life modelling most of it  after it, including collections of food and sometimes money to help widows and those in need. Sure, not exactly identical or the same in every way, but still it is very encouraging, at least to me, to see this. 

Now, I thought it best to actually ask all of you a little more about that history, purpose, and function of the Jewish life in the synagogue (and maybe everything surrounding it). I am a little afraid to ask the "Messianic" bunch, as many of them seem really off on different things. If you have an article, or if you want to share something about it, please! Here are some starter questions from an outsider such as myself:

When did it begin, and why?

What were/are the functions of it, and what roles did/do the elders (or whoever it may be) play in it?

What does your synagogue services or function look like? What are some extra things your community does?

If anything I said is off, like my first paragraph, I will accept the criticism. Thank you for your time.
"All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations." - Psalm 22:17-28

Historically Protestant, Confessionally Reformed, Theologically Baptist.
You might find this article at Chabad interesting:

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_c...agogue.htm

What are some extra things your community does?

The social action committee of my temple (the term "temple" is used only by non-Orthodox Jews, but "synagogue" works for us, too) is currently collecting toiletries and towels for distribution to the area's local emergency shelter.  The committee organizes a lot of things like that.  The temple itself has also been offered as a place of temporary shelter for people in need of a shower or place to sleep for the night. 

When children become bar mitzvah or bat mitzvah, they usually choose some form of community service as their "mitzvah project."

The holiday of Purim is approaching (beginning at sundown on March 20th) and charitable giving is part of the holiday.  On the Sunday before Purim (March 17th) we're having a Purim Carnival.
Heart !לחיים

(03-08-2019, 02:52 PM)Channalee Wrote: You might find this article at Chabad interesting:

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_c...agogue.htm

What are some extra things your community does?

The social action committee of my temple (the term "temple" is used only by non-Orthodox Jews, but "synagogue" works for us, too) is currently collecting toiletries and towels for distribution to the area's local emergency shelter.  The committee organizes a lot of things like that.  The temple itself has also been offered as a place of temporary shelter for people in need of a shower or place to sleep for the night. 

When children become bar mitzvah or bat mitzvah, they usually choose some form of community service as their "mitzvah project."

The holiday of Purim is approaching (beginning at sundown on March 20th) and charitable giving is part of the holiday.  On the Sunday before Purim (March 17th) we're having a Purim Carnival.

I did find that article interesting, and some of the things your own "temple" does. Thanks for sharing, Channelee.
"All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations." - Psalm 22:17-28

You're welcome, Steven.  Here's another thing to add to the list of what synagogues do in addition to serving the spiritual needs of our communities.

Temple Emanu-El, with its 175-year-old history, is home to one of New York City's oldest congregations of Reform Judaism.  They frequently sponsor events such as the Bari Weiss interview that I attended a couple of weeks ago. 

Below is an interior picture of Temple Emanu-El for you.  As you can see, the bima (raised platform at the front of the temple) is set up for the interview.  I took this picture before the lecture/interview began.

[Image: jktDJxg.jpg?1]
Heart !לחיים

My synagogue presents valued speakers (most recently David Hogg), sustains an excellent adult education program, hosts a weekly soup kitchen, and most recently, in coordination with a number of local churches, served as an overnight homeless shelter from the cold.

And during Ramadan a few years ago and in response to increasing islamaphobia, it hosted an Iftar in the Synagogue - a lovely bridge-building exercise.

Shabbat Shalom ...
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
Interesting stuff, you guys!