The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Religion Student looking for a partner
(04-25-2019, 05:34 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 02:39 PM)Chavak Wrote: All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind.

And I might add -

All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind by connecting to G-d.

Thank you for the reply!

Do you find the world understanding of your religion? For example, Christian holidays are usually days when most businesses are closed. Do you find the same ease taking off for Jewish holidays? It's very easy for me to find a Bible to purchase, but now that I think on it, I haven't seen other religious text in our stores. Is there certain areas to buy them? Is it easier in bigger cities?
(04-25-2019, 10:28 PM)southerngirl Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 12:12 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 11:01 PM)southerngirl Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 05:16 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello Southerngirl and welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

Sure, I think there are several members here that would be happy to speak to you.

Fire away with your questions an we'll answer them to the best of our knowledge.

Glad you found us!

Thank you so much! I apologize for any ignorance. I'm from a very small community who doesn't have a lot of religious diversity, and there's only so much you can learn from a book. 

As I mentioned, I'm a Christian. Religious studies consider both Jewish and Christian religions to be based in history (our bible and the Jewish Tanakh). We have Bible Studies, in which we gather around and study the Bible as one would study a language in school. I assume it's the same with the Tanakh so I was curious if there's an official name for such a service and if it's like Bible Studies. 

There are a lot of subsets with the Christian faith, but in my area, most people aren't too harsh on one another. There are, however, some that believe in more strict rules who think others aren't faithful enough. Is that true for the Jewish religion as well?

On a personal level, how much would you say the Jewish faith shapes your identity? Using me as an example,  there are certain jobs I couldn't take without it conflicting with my faith, and then I would be unhappy. 

Thanks for the help!

No need to apologize!

Yes, we have many ways of studying Torah. Some are smaller Torah classes and others are in bigger venues. It is a constant ongoing journey we are on. Not sure if there is an "official" name for it though. We also break down the Torah into segments called "parsha". Each week we study a different one (or 2 in some cases) and usually a corresponding text from a different part of the Tanach.

Yes, there are different denominations within Judaism that adhere to the commandments differently and even within those denominations there are those that are stricter than others.

Judaism shapes my identity by providing guidelines and instructions on how to live life, to better myself and for the better of mankind.

Not sure if those answers are too general or not, but it's a starting point!

These answers are great. Thanks! Studying something and speaking to someone who lives it are two different things. It sounds odd to admit, but this board is my first time speaking to the Jewish community. 

So, the Torah is one part of the Tanach, right? It's like learning a new language! So, piggybacking that question, we also have Sunday school, which is more targeted to children. It's done through fun and games to help them understand the basics. Is there a Jewish version? 

While the Jewish community is larger than some others, the US seems to predominately Christian. This might not apply if you live in a Jewish-heavy community, but if not, do you find people less understanding of your Jewish traditions? For example, many businesses are closed on Christmas, which Christians consider to be the day Christ was born. Obviously, other people of different believes still celebrate it.

You are very welcome!

Yes, the Tanach is composed of the Torah, the Prophets and the Writings, although sometimes people say Torah for all of these as well. It can be confusing sometimes, especially to those outside of Judaism.

There are many Jewish schools for children and if I'm not mistaken, believe it or not, many of them are on Sunday! Learning is a very big part of Judaism and we start learning Torah at a young age.

I happen to live in NY so there is a large vibrant Jewish community. Actually, I have to say "communities" as there are Jews from all walks of life here! But to answer your question -

Yes and No!

Yes because many people are already familiar with our customs and some other religions actually have their own so they kind of understand to a degree.

No because some people don't take the time to try and understand and look at us in a negative way.

Although many business and schools are closed for Christian holidays, they are closed as well for Jewish ones as they sometimes combine holidays and call it a "break".

Christmas is a little different though as not all that celebrate, do so for the real reason. Some tend to celebrate the "holiday season". Which is okay, but not the real reason of it's origin.

For Jewish holidays, it is celebrated strictly for what it is, whether it's Passover, Rosh Hashanah Yom Kippur or Hannukah.
(04-25-2019, 10:40 PM)southerngirl Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 05:34 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 02:39 PM)Chavak Wrote: All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind.

And I might add -

All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind by connecting to G-d.

Thank you for the reply!

Do you find the world understanding of your religion? For example, Christian holidays are usually days when most businesses are closed. Do you find the same ease taking off for Jewish holidays? It's very easy for me to find a Bible to purchase, but now that I think on it, I haven't seen other religious text in our stores. Is there certain areas to buy them? Is it easier in bigger cities?

I think it depends where you live. Most book stores here do have a small section for Jewish literature. But I have been to places where it is non existent.

Then again, many people just buy things online where you can just about find anything!!
Hi! I am not in which part of the state you live, but Kentucky does indeed have a Jewish population. You might find this helpful. They have collected nearly 100 interviews. - Jewish Kentucky Oral History Project

Though bookstores in general are more difficult to find these days, all the ones I visit have a small Jewish section. We also have a great library system (rated on of the best in the country) so I can get a lot of books at my public library. Synagogues too, often have libraries where we can check out books on Jewish topics. My synagogue library is TINY (we lack space) but there are others in the area with vast collections that are open to the public.
(04-26-2019, 12:23 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: You are very welcome!

Yes, the Tanach is composed of the Torah, the Prophets and the Writings, although sometimes people say Torah for all of these as well. It can be confusing sometimes, especially to those outside of Judaism.

There are many Jewish schools for children and if I'm not mistaken, believe it or not, many of them are on Sunday! Learning is a very big part of Judaism and we start learning Torah at a young age.

I happen to live in NY so there is a large vibrant Jewish community. Actually, I have to say "communities" as there are Jews from all walks of life here! But to answer your question -

Yes and No!

Yes because many people are already familiar with our customs and some other religions actually have their own so they kind of understand to a degree.

No because some people don't take the time to try and understand and look at us in a negative way.

Although many business and schools are closed for Christian holidays, they are closed as well for Jewish ones as they sometimes combine holidays and call it a "break".

Christmas is a little different though as not all that celebrate, do so for the real reason. Some tend to celebrate the "holiday season". Which is okay, but not the real reason of it's origin.

For Jewish holidays, it is celebrated strictly for what it is, whether it's Passover, Rosh Hashanah Yom Kippur or Hannukah.

The idea of communities full of other religions is so fascinating to me. I know that city life is so different than small town life, enough that can't even pretend to imagine it well. I am glad they exist elsewhere. 

Again, this is likely because it's a small town that has few, if any, Jewish communities so I'm not sure they're closed for Jewish holidays. Do you mind giving me an example? I'm familiar with Passover and Hannukah, but I don't think it's common for places to be closed here for those holidays. If a business isn't normally closed, do you think they are understanding if someone who celebrates them needs the time off?
(04-26-2019, 12:25 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I think it depends where you live. Most book stores here do have a small section for Jewish literature. But I have been to places where it is non existent.

Then again, many people just buy things online where you can just about find anything!!

Online shopping is definitely the go-to for me, too! I imagine it was harder before, and still may be for the older generation who may not be as practiced in online shopping.
(04-28-2019, 05:33 PM)Dena Wrote: Hi! I am not in which part of the state you live, but Kentucky does indeed have a Jewish population. You might find this helpful. They have collected nearly 100 interviews. - Jewish Kentucky Oral History Project

Though bookstores in general are more difficult to find these days, all the ones I visit have a small Jewish section. We also have a great library system (rated on of the best in the country) so I can get a lot of books at my public library. Synagogues too, often have libraries where we can check out books on Jewish topics. My synagogue library is TINY (we lack space) but there are others in the area with vast collections that are open to the public.

Thank you very much for the link! 

I'm sure there are Jewish communities in Kentucky. There are cities much larger than mine, but they are so far off they're considered day trips. If you combine the two cities closest to me, you still get a population of much less than 10,000, so it really is a small sample size. That said, I won't pretend to know everyone in either city so it's definitely possible that there someone's closer than I think. That's why I'm thankful for the Internet, which gives people the ability to reach across continents and speak to others.
(04-29-2019, 04:44 AM)southerngirl Wrote: Again, this is likely because it's a small town that has few, if any, Jewish communities so I'm not sure they're closed for Jewish holidays. Do you mind giving me an example? I'm familiar with Passover and Hannukah, but I don't think it's common for places to be closed here for those holidays. If a business isn't normally closed, do you think they are understanding if someone who celebrates them needs the time off?

It depends on the business of course. And where they are located. If there is only 1 Jewish family in the community, the business may or may not be as understanding as in a community where there are 1000's.

Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur are considered the holiest time of the year and many businesses here at least will give time off. Same goes for Passover.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, many Jewish people will use their vacation time for these holidays as well.

Great questions Southerngirl!