The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Study-Prager's Rational Bible
(05-29-2019, 01:34 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Thanks Dana!

What are you reading that has Rabbi Fohrman's comments on Genesis?

Exactly what I was going to ask!
(05-29-2019, 03:14 PM)Chavak Wrote:

Do you remember the book The Beast that Crouches at the Door? I think it was mentioned on the old forum, and it covered, mainly, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel.  There were nuances with the Hebrew and the nature of masculine and feminine that seem more developed, modern, in which the Rabbis of the Midrash noticed over a thousand years ago.

Genesis 3:16 and Genesis 4:6-7, specifically, similar language in the Hebrew and parallels that I prefer reading from the perspective of Rabbi Fohrman.  He goes into depth on the two Hebrew words, Teshukah, for desire and mashal for parable with the same spelling as moshel for ruled over. 

The extra details brought out a kinder interpretation I thought, and reminded me of the saying, "Two Jews, three opinions."
(05-30-2019, 03:04 AM)Dana Wrote:

Do you remember the book The Beast that Crouches at the Door? I think it was mentioned on the old forum, and it covered, mainly, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel.  There were nuances with the Hebrew and the nature of masculine and feminine that seem more developed, modern, in which the Rabbis of the Midrash noticed over a thousand years ago.

Genesis 3:16 and Genesis 4:6-7, specifically, similar language in the Hebrew and parallels that I prefer reading from the perspective of Rabbi Fohrman.  He goes into depth on the two Hebrew words, Teshukah, for desire and mashal for parable with the same spelling as moshel for ruled over. 

The extra details brought out a kinder interpretation I thought, and reminded me of the saying, "Two Jews, three opinions."

Ah, yes! I have that book and have read it a couple of times.

I thought you were referring to  specific commentary on Genesis as a whole.

Just to let everyone know. I haven't had a chance to order the book yet as work is very busy. Hope to do so soon!

Sorry about the delay.
No problem, SMR. Just let us know when you are ready. I got mine a couple of days ago but have been to busy to take a look at it yet.
Ordered!
(05-30-2019, 12:20 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 03:04 AM)Dana Wrote:

Ah, yes! I have that book and have read it a couple of times.

I thought you were referring to  specific commentary on Genesis as a whole.

Just to let everyone know. I haven't had a chance to order the book yet as work is very busy. Hope to do so soon!

Sorry about the delay.

Totally understandable.  There isn't any rush. I'm also working extra hours, so posting or response time on my end will be slow. In hindsight, it would have been more precise to write that I was comparing specific verses of Genesis. Oh well. I'm glad to see you've ordered the book and I hope we'll see various opinions.
Okay, my book has arrived!!

How do you want to do this? I'm guessing read one chapter at a time and then post our thoughts?

Should we start with the Introduction?

So glad to see Rabbi Joseph Telushkin was involved!
(05-31-2019, 08:35 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Okay, my book has arrived!!

How do you want to do this? I'm guessing read one chapter at a time and then post our thoughts?

That makes sense to me-start with the intro. Read it over the weekend and post thoughts Monday, if not before then?
(05-31-2019, 08:59 PM)Chavak Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 08:35 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Okay, my book has arrived!!

That makes sense to me-start with the intro. Read it over the weekend and post thoughts Monday, if not before then?

The introduction first, then chapter at a time sound okay to me. Monday postings are fine, whatever works best schedule wise. I'm off Sunday, may post then.
Okay, I'll start!

I am impressed the way he broke out different questions such as why and who. I did notice though when he said who it was for he had several categories - Jewish readers, Christian readers and non-religious leaders. Am wondering why he left out Muslim readers? Maybe he thought they wouldn't read his book?

I like that he says that he doesn't want the reader to accept anything on faith alone. And that he goes on to say that if something doesn't make rational sense, then he hasn't done his job. Then adding "On those few-thankfully, very few-occasions I do not have a rational explanation for a Torah verse, I say so."

He isn't saying take everything at his word, just that he offers a rational explanation based on his many years of study and understanding of the Hebrew language. And that he learned from people from all faiths.

One other thing I noticed is that when he thanks those who have helped him along the way, he doesn't mention G-d. Many religious writers thank G-d for all they have been given in life. He seemed to leave that out!