The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being fired for not working on shabbat
This happens to involve a Christian woman, but what do you think about employers being forced to accommodate the religious needs of their employees? I have an issue with it, especially if the person took the job knowing that they were required to work on Sunday/Saturday. Also, $21 million in punitive damages seems just a bit extreme.

https://www.ebony.com/news/christian-fir...n-lawsuit/
I don't agree with the lawsuit, especially the punitive damages award.  I don't see how a business can be expected to operate by religious accommodation demands. There are other employees that will then need to carry the shift and that is not fair to them.
1) Plaintiff will not be receiving $21 million. Federal law limits compensation award to, I believe, $300,000.

2) According to suit, plaintiff was hired almost 10 yrs. ago and told company at time of interview and hire that she would not work on Sunday. Apparently this was not a problem for years until a new kitchen manager made an issue of it.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(05-26-2019, 01:27 AM)RabbiO Wrote: 1) Plaintiff will not be receiving $21 million. Federal law limits compensation award to, I believe, $300,000.

2) According to suit, plaintiff was hired almost 10 yrs. ago and told company at time of interview and hire that she would not work on Sunday. Apparently this was not a problem for years until a new kitchen manager made an issue of it.

Please don't confuse the issue with facts ...
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
I guess online media story tellers never really give us all the facts.  Otherwise, they could not receive their desired reactions from the readers.  We give our opinions to the piece and then are reminded by others just how wrong we are to think the way we do.  All the more reason to look to the Torah and the value of truthfulness.  The 9th Commandment of not bearing false witness. Do they care?  Probably not.  Best to wait for all the facts. And with our online, noisy world that could take a very long time.
(05-24-2019, 10:07 PM)Chavak Wrote: This happens to involve a Christian woman, but what do you think about employers being forced to accommodate the religious needs of their employees? I have an issue with it, especially if the person took the job knowing that they were required to work on Sunday/Saturday. Also, $21 million in punitive damages seems just a bit extreme.

https://www.ebony.com/news/christian-fir...n-lawsuit/

I totally agree with you. Someone I know told me that he was seriously considering taking a job knowing that he would have to work on Shabbat and then throwing a hissy to force them to let him off for Shabbat and holidays. Just terrible.
I don't think private companies should be forced to cater to their employees religious demands. If they want to, I think it's great, and a great way to attract and keep good employees. But it should not be manditory.
People should also be upfront about their needs when being hired.
(05-28-2019, 08:19 AM)Jason Wrote: People should also be upfront about their needs when being hired.

They should. But if the needs of the company change over time, and they need an employee to work on their sabbath where as before they were allowed not to...I still don't think it's right for a government to get involved.