The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Orthodox conversion in Israel possible for non-citizens?
I'm part ethnically Jewish but don't have documments that prove it. I've found over the years that Judaism is the religion I believe in, and I want to live the rest of my life as an Orthodox Jew. Please don't try to discourage me or warn me about how hard it is, I am well aware of the challenges. I'm currently speaking with a rabbi in Israel and he offered to give me classes via Skype. First, I would like to know if these classes would be reliable and valid for and Orthodox conversion, and also how hard it is to get permission from the Israeli Rabbanut to convert.
Hello alizagabriella and welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure one of the other members here can help.

Just might have to be a little patient until they check the forum.

Thanks for joining and wishing you well on your journey to conversion.

And the journey after that, the one we are all on!
If you're converting to Judaism, I'm assuming that your mother isn't Jewish, and you will need, as you convert, to live as an Orthodox Jew for at least a year--if memory serves--to be recognised as a someone who is Jewish and can get Israeli citizenship. There's usually more involved than simply speaking with one Rabbi. Why not speak with one more locally (unless I've misunderstood and you're already in Israel).
(06-09-2019, 07:14 PM)alizagabriella Wrote: I'm part ethnically Jewish but don't have documments that prove it. I've found over the years that Judaism is the religion I believe in, and I want to live the rest of my life as an Orthodox Jew. Please don't try to discourage me or warn me about how hard it is, I am well aware of the challenges. I'm currently speaking with a rabbi in Israel and he offered to give me classes via Skype. First, I would like to know if these classes would be reliable and valid for and Orthodox conversion, and also how hard it is to get permission from the Israeli Rabbanut to convert.

This may help -

https://www.itim.org.il/en/conversion-for-non-citizens/
בקש שלום ורדפהו
I would contact Itim, and Rabbi O gave you the link above. They are very good about working with converts/potential converts.
Are you planning to become an Israeli citizen after conversion? If not my guess is that they will not do it. If you do not intend to
become an Israeli citizen after conversion, I would contact the OU.