The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congratulations Robert Alter
I own a number of Torahs and Tanakhs and, when faced with some biblical question, it's not unusual for me to scan most of them for their translations and commentaries. Some of the books that I value most are those by Robert Alter including:
  • The Five Books of Moses
  • The Book of Psalms
  • David
  • The Wisdom Books
And now Alter has published a complete Tanakh translation and commentary. I've just ordered the three volume set and hope to have it here by the end of this week.

If anyone is interested, you might want to take a quick look at this article from the New York Magazine.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
that is quite an accomplishment!
(06-10-2019, 12:32 PM)nill Wrote: If anyone is interested, you might want to take a quick look at this article from the New York Magazine.

I think Alter's version of Genesis 21 is remarkable. Even the Stone Edition has translated pakad as remembered.  The ambiguity surrounding the preposition for, (to me), turns the narration around considerably!  Joyful Sarah is now a woman being mocked, the laughter directed at her from society, rather than with her.  I believe he is not taking much liberty with the Hebrew at all with that rendition, considering the patriarchal times and the history.  After all, she was a 90 year old woman, and it must have felt being "singled out or counted," at that age.  Definitely an insightful perspective.
(06-11-2019, 12:56 PM)Dana Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 12:32 PM)nill Wrote: If anyone is interested, you might want to take a quick look at this article from the New York Magazine.

I think Alter's version of Genesis 21 is remarkable. Even the Stone Edition has translated pakad as remembered.  The ambiguity surrounding the preposition for, (to me), turns the narration around considerably!  Joyful Sarah is now a woman being mocked, the laughter directed at her from society, rather than with her.  I believe he is not taking much liberty with the Hebrew at all with that rendition, considering the patriarchal times and the history.  After all, she was a 90 year old woman, and it must have felt being "singled out or counted," at that age.  Definitely an insightful perspective.

Similarly, in NICOT's The Book of Genesis; Chapters 18-50 one reads:

And Sarah said: "God has made a joke of me; whoever hears will laugh at me."
(06-11-2019, 01:49 PM)nili Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:56 PM)Dana Wrote:

Similarly, in NICOT's The Book of Genesis; Chapters 18-50 one reads:

And Sarah said: "God has made a joke of me; whoever hears will laugh at me."

That is interesting.   What is NICOT?  Also, Is there any commentary by Robert Alter about Hannah in 1Samuel l:19?  I'm contrasting the two different uses of remember, pakad and zaCHar, between Sarah and Hannah.  

The situations surrounding Hannah is a loving husband regardless of her inability to have children.  It seems she is heavily influenced by the provocations of Peninnah, Elkanah's other wife. 

For Hannah, Hashem remembers זכר her, with the standard meaning of the word.
(06-12-2019, 12:55 PM)Dana Wrote: That is interesting.   What is NICOT?  ...

NICOT is the New International Commentary on the Old Testament.

(06-12-2019, 12:55 PM)Dana Wrote: ... Also, Is there any commentary by Robert Alter about Hannah in 1Samuel l:19?  I'm contrasting the two different uses of remember, pakad and zaCHar, between Sarah and Hannah.  

The situations surrounding Hannah is a loving husband regardless of her inability to have children.  It seems she is heavily influenced by the provocations of Peninnah, Elkanah's other wife. 

For Hannah, Hashem remembers זכר her, with the standard meaning of the word.

Sadly, I have not yet received the books so I cannot really speak to how Alter renders the verse. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive -- hopefully later today. For now, regarding 1 Samuel 1:19 ...

The Jewish Study Bible has

Elkanah knew his wife Hannah and the Lord remembered her*.

* It goes on to note: "This is shown when Hannah's womb is opened (see v.11), enabling her to conceive."

while Everett Fox simply offers

And Elkana knew Hanna his wife, and YHWH kept her in mind.
(06-12-2019, 12:55 PM)Dana Wrote: ... I'm contrasting the two different uses of remember, pakad and zaCHar, between Sarah and Hannah. .

You might consider starting a thread focussed on the above.
@Dana, the books just arrived and I've found nothing of note in his rendering of 1 Samuel 1:19. His translation is identical to that of Berlin's Jewish Study Bible.
(06-12-2019, 09:27 PM)nili Wrote: @Dana, the books just arrived and I've found nothing of note in his rendering of 1 Samuel 1:19. His translation is identical to that of Berlin's Jewish Study Bible.

Thank you, Nili,  for the above information. I'll certainly remember his name and would like to add his Tanach to the couple I've already got.   I like that he has the Hebrew language included and his impressive observations. I hope to start a thread when I've a little more time.
(06-13-2019, 02:34 AM)Dana Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 09:27 PM)nili Wrote: @Dana, the books just arrived and I've found nothing of note in his rendering of 1 Samuel 1:19. His translation is identical to that of Berlin's Jewish Study Bible.

Thank you, Nili,  for the above information. I'll certainly remember his name and would like to add his Tanach to the couple I've already got.   I like that he has the Hebrew language included and his impressive observations. I hope to start a thread when I've a little more time.

Just FYI: Alter's three-volume Tanakh does not include the Masoretic text, but Sefaria is readily available online.