The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General: Translating the name of HASHEM into English
(06-28-2019, 02:01 AM)James the Servant Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 06:19 PM)Harachaman Wrote: Well there are translations of the tetragramation (yud hey vav hey) in English, but there is no authoritative pronunciation, because there hasn't been a reason to pronounce it since the destruction of the first temple and so it has not been kept in Jewsh tradition. Because to render it in English you would need the actual vowels, English translations vary. The most popular Anglicized name is used by the -- Witnesses who consider it very important to use that name (despite it never occurring or being even implied in the Greek testament). But it is probably wrong so I've heard some Jews say it's OK to use that name because it's not possibly correct.

Some of this is on:
http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Thank you sir for your response. I am not interested in the pronunciation of HASHEM as I am not even qualified to mention His name.

What I am interested in is what does HASHEM mean in English?

For example, the name Jacob means, "Supplanter."

Wanted to chime in here, hoping not to step on toes, but as your local "Hashem's" Witness, I wanted to respond to both claims with Revelation 1:4 "John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne"

Hayah "he was", Hoveh "he is", and Yih'yeh "he is now and will continue to be in the future".  

As far as "what JWs refer to Hashem as" as "meaning the destroyer" ... that would be if it used "Hovah" as a root word.  But "Hoveh" is one of three root words.   

I definitely respect people's caution not to misuse the name... but I thought I could help clear a couple of those things up.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Translating the name of HASHEM into English - by Moriel Fall - 08-18-2019, 04:05 AM