The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Where is the mummy of Israel?
"And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father: and the physicians embalmed Israel."
Genesis 50:2

Supposedly, Israel is buried in the Cave of Machpelah, also known as the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron, Israel. If this is true, why are there no pictures of his mummy? Why haven't archaeologists done research to confirm that Israel is buried there? Why haven't modern Jews done a DNA test on Israel--to find out his Y-chromosome haplogroup--so that the sons of Israel can be found with solid proof and the remnants of Jacob can be brought back to Israel?

It is so frustrating to me to do research on this as there is nothing to be found concerning this topic! It leads me to believe that maybe Israel is not buried there anymore. Perhaps someone stole his mummy long ago and hid it or worst: destroyed it.

Thoughts?
"Learn to do good; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
Isaiah 1:17
Does "embalm" mean "mummify"?
(06-24-2019, 02:32 AM)James the Servant Wrote: Why haven't modern Jews done a DNA test on Israel--to find out his Y-chromosome haplogroup--so that the sons of Israel can be found with solid proof and the remnants of Jacob can be brought back to Israel?

Let us assume that one or more remains are unearthed and analyzed. How might one know which sample, if any, was Israel?
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
(06-25-2019, 12:59 PM)nili Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:32 AM)James the Servant Wrote: Why haven't modern Jews done a DNA test on Israel--to find out his Y-chromosome haplogroup--so that the sons of Israel can be found with solid proof and the remnants of Jacob can be brought back to Israel?

Let us assume that one or more remains are unearthed and analyzed. How might one know which sample, if any, was Israel?

I am no expert regarding this. Anything I say would be a guess.

Perhaps he will have his name inscribed on the tomb?
"Learn to do good; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
(06-25-2019, 10:46 AM)Jason Wrote: Does "embalm" mean "mummify"?
Interesting question. After careful research, I may have found an answer to your question, sir.

Please read this article.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/mummy#et...ne_v_19268
(06-25-2019, 02:09 PM)James the Servant Wrote:

There is a world of difference between a guess and an informed guess.

(06-25-2019, 02:09 PM)James the Servant Wrote: Perhaps he will have his name inscribed on the tomb?

That would certainly be an exciting find. Big Grin
(06-25-2019, 02:13 PM)James the Servant Wrote:
Interesting question. After careful research, I may have found an answer to your question, sir.

And after "careful research" I found: Wikipedia: Etymological Fallacy.
(06-25-2019, 03:04 PM)nili Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 02:09 PM)James the Servant Wrote:

There is a world of difference between a guess and an informed guess.

(06-25-2019, 02:09 PM)James the Servant Wrote: Perhaps he will have his name inscribed on the tomb?

That would certainly be an exciting find.  Big Grin
Nili, I must make it clear where I stand since no one knows me here and I dont want people thinking I'm in expert in something that I am not.

And yes, it would be one of the most important finds in archaelogical history, in my opinion. I believe we would be able to bring the remnants of Israel back home if we found him.
(06-25-2019, 03:07 PM)nili Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 02:13 PM)James the Servant Wrote:

And after "careful research" I found: Wikipedia: Etymological Fallacy.
Well if they embalmed Israel, then how would he not be a mummy?

Remember, Israel was considered as high class amongst the Egyptians because of Joseph's high status and influence. So it would make sense that the Egyptians would have given Israel a similar burial ritual as they did to pharoah's.
Let's make it a quest to find the mummy of Israel, test his DNA, and find the remnants of Jacob!

Who's in?