The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Why do you love Judaism?
(06-30-2019, 03:43 PM)RabbiO Wrote: I think it is time that you told us a bit more about yourself and your Jewish education, both formal and informal.

The attitudes you have expressed in this thread and elsewhere on the forum are, how shall I put, unusual, and it would help to know where you are coming from.

Rabbi,

I have no formal Jewish education. I have taught myself everything I "know" informally. I consider myself an artist, a creative thinker. I think outside the box.

I started off as a Catholic, but around the age 24 I walked away and searched for deeper answers. I'm 29 now.

I became an atheist for a time, and learned how to think skeptically and rationally from them.

One day, I came across the book "The Singularity is Near" by Ray Kurzweil. After reading it, my view on life changed dramatically.

I noticed that there were some similarities between Singularitarianism and Judaism, as I have read the Tanakh in the past, especially Isaiah and Ezekiel. The idea of immortality was predicted 2500 years ago by the Jews and Zoroastrians. This fascinated me and made me want to dig deeper into Jewish thought.

So, although I cannot explain it logically, I feel there is something special about the Tanakh and the purpose of the sons of Israel. Again, this is just a feeling, and trying to quantify these feelings has proven a challenge for me, but I enjoy challenges.

I go by this verse:

"For thus says the LORD: “To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will endure forever."
Isaiah 56:4-5

I consider myself a foreigner who subscribes to Jewish thought. I have no proof that I am part of the family biologically.

Again, I feel that the sons of Israel (in particular Jews) are special because they have drastically changed the world (the spread of Judeo-chrisianity and ingenious Jews contributing to modern science, economics, and other fields).

I hope this clarifies things, sir.
"Learn to do good; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
Isaiah 1:17
(06-30-2019, 04:52 PM)James the Servant Wrote: For some odd reason, my heart tells me that the sons of Israel are necessary for the initiation of the singularity.

Would you like to expand a bit on how Kurzweil's thoughts influenced your worldview? And how do you connect the singularity to Judaism? [Edit: I just saw your post in the Hangout forum, maybe we can discuss there further in order not to derail this threat too much]

I'm somewhat familiar with Singularitarian thoughts since my background is human computer interaction and borders on AI, so this unfamiliar perspective interests me. My personal take would be that surpassing human level intelligence would be a combined worldwide effort that has nothing to do with religion, inherently (and, most likely, come from the google labs, at least the narrow AIs that surpassed human level performance were created by them, so I'd rather bet my money on them and their manpower to give that initial spark, rather than Israel as a nation, no offense meant Wink ). How do you connect this with Israel? Just curious!

Are you studying on yourself only or do you also have a connection to a community / synagogue?