The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: The most powerful reason on why I reject Jesus as messiah
(08-29-2019, 06:59 AM)serviteur Wrote: I read those verses on www.mechon-mamre.org ,it is in Hebrew with English translation.But yes,i do not speak Hebrew.
The 1917 Jewish Publication Society translation, used by Mechon-Mamre because it is in the public domain, does say "G-d". The newer JPS translation uses the term "divine being."

The phrase in the Torah is -
כי ראיתי אלהים פנים אל פנים
For I have seen elohim face to face.

The question is, how to translate elohim. Elohim can mean "G-d". It can mean "gods" as when it refers to the deities of other religion. It can mean judges and it can mean angels.

Further, Torah uses metaphors and idiomatic phrases. If you and I were to agree on something and I said, "We see eye to eye on that." would it be appropriate for someone to think that we put our eyeballs up against each other?

I could say more, but I'm not sure you're going to be here long enough for me to make the effort.
בקש שלום ורדפהו

Messages In This Thread
RE: The most powerful reason on why I reject Jesus as messiah - by RabbiO - 08-29-2019, 01:25 PM