The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High School Name
Hello, I live in a city that is nearing naming a new High School. We are in Texas. As I pondered names I learned that this year Texas is expanding it's curriculum to require a Remembrance Week for the Holocaust during the school year. Best I can tell there is no High School in America named "Remembrance High School".  I did my best research and wasn't sure if there was a better term to use, but I did come across "Unity" as well, and there are a few "Unity High School" named campuses in the US. 

Do you believe this is a good name to ask the naming committee to consider? How can I best present this? Is there a better name to ask for?

Best regards.
Hello SeanJoseph and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

To answer your question from my point of view -

Although we must remember, I'm not sure naming a high school would be proper as it teaches many different topics besides the newly formed Remembrance week.

I do commend the high school though for adding it to their curriculum and you for the suggestion. 

I'm guessing the students have many different beliefs and don't think it would be fair to single out one tragedy to name the school, although it was definitely unique and stands out as one of the worst in history.

Unless of course "Remembrance" would include all.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure others here will chime in as well.
(06-30-2019, 01:55 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello SeanJoseph and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

To answer your question from my point of view -

Although we must remember, I'm not sure naming a high school would be proper as it teaches many different topics besides the newly formed Remembrance week.

I do commend the high school though for adding it to their curriculum and you for the suggestion.  ...

I completely agree.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
I am not sure if there are certain regulations as to how a high school can be named, but maybe you could search for someone whose deeds inspired you, who had a positive role during that time and who can serve as a role model. Where I'm from there are a lot of schools named after resistance fighters, people who saved Jews/ the righteous among the nations and also after people who were murdered in the Shoah, in rememberance. Usually these people and their history is integrated into the curriculum, so by naming a school after a role model, you could help create awareness, focus on rememberance, but also on what actions one individual undertook to help. This could help inspire positive values.