The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: Please help on identifying
                    Please help on identifying this Hebrew book , its subject , its date , and the two signatures on it .
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

I'm sure one of our members who know Hebrew will respond shortly.

Thank you.
I mean, first things, the book is upside down. That aside . . .

"The 4 Fasts: Of the Sephardic Rite" seems to be the title. Moshe and Shmuel wrote it. It was published in Livorno in Italy.
It's called Seder Arba Taaniyot, which is a tractate on the four public fasts: the 10th of Tevet, the Fast of Esther, the 17th of Tammuz, and Tisha b'Av.

It'd be easier to deal with if you hadn't published the pictures upside down.
I downloaded the main image and flipped it over. At the bottom it says that the authors are Mosheh and Israel Falaji and Shlomoh Bilforti. There is nothing on the page regarding a date. It might be on a page after this one, which is sort of an intro page.
I can't make out anything from the signatory, the handwritten bit. One of the signatures is completely blotted out. Nothing from either one is legible.
(07-15-2019, 12:38 PM)Jason Wrote: I can't make out anything from the signatory, the handwritten bit. One of the signatures is completely blotted out. Nothing from either one is legible.

I think part of it might say "in/to Italy," no?
I need to print the cover out and turn it around to get a better handle on it. For example, looking upside down I can't tell whether it actually ascribes authorship to Belforte and the Palagi brothers. Belforte and the Palagis were partners in a printing house in Livorno  that was highly respected although only Belforte's name was part of the company name.

The printing house was established in the mid 1800s. When Solomon Belforte died his son basically bought out the brothers.
בקש שלום ורדפהו