The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nephesh, Ruach, and Neshama?
Shocked 
Nephesh, Ruach, and Neshama: 

What's the actual difference?  Can someone have one without the other?

A sleeping person is still alive and has their Nephesh, but while unconscious does not have their Neshama.  When they die, their Nephesh dies, and their Neshama returns to G-d?  

One person suggested that a drugged up or brain damaged person may be alive and conscious, (have their nephesh and neshama), but lack their Ruach because, while they are "awake"... they aren't "themselves."

Is that close?  Or do any of them actually translate to a spirit that can live, consciously, outside of the body, like a "ghost?"
Good luck with that one! I think that anyone who claims to have a clear understanding of these things is bluffing. The words are often interchangeable.
(08-31-2019, 03:42 AM)Moriel Fall Wrote: Nephesh, Ruach, and Neshama: 

What's the actual difference?  Can someone have one without the other?

A sleeping person is still alive and has their Nephesh, but while unconscious does not have their Neshama.  When they die, their Nephesh dies, and their Neshama returns to G-d?  

One person suggested that a drugged up or brain damaged person may be alive and conscious, (have their nephesh and neshama), but lack their Ruach because, while they are "awake"... they aren't "themselves."

Is that close?  Or do any of them actually translate to a spirit that can live, consciously, outside of the body, like a "ghost?"

May I ask , where is it stated that the Nishama dies? If the Nishama dies after ones' death then how is gilgul possible?
(08-31-2019, 11:44 PM)House of Jacob Wrote: May I ask , where is it stated that the Nishama dies? If the Nishama dies after ones' death then how is gilgul possible?

You’re assuming the reality of gilgul.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
I think that most Israelis at least believe in gilgul neshamot. It's an extremely common concept in Israel, to the point that most people think it's a basic teaching of Judaism.
These words did not have clear definitions when they emerged in Hebrew speech. I don't think it's useful to give them definitions beyond what the people have used them for.