The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me to understand my ancestors
(06-24-2021, 07:54 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: How do you like the way Karlsruhe has changed during the past 20 years?  Sick Cry

As you probably know, it has become dangerous, especially for women, but also for men. Among other things, that's why  I moved away in 2017.
Oh, I know alright. That was my way of asking a rhetorical question.
We could keep moving away. But, sooner or later, there will be no reasonable place left to move to.
For anybody else who is attempting to trace ancestors, local memorial organizations may prove helpful. I've surprisingly found this one in Skopje: https://ezrm.vo.mk/memorijalen-centar-na...akedonija/ I didn't know that the occupying Germans had deported Jews from Macedonia, at least on a massive scale. At that time, my grandmother resided in Bulgaria where the Axis partner government refused cooperation on deportations. Whether deportations based solely on visible Judaism or whether selections extended to the point to where any existing census statistics were subjected to detailed examination is yet unknown to me. If the latter were to be the case, it's highly probable that relatives of mine had become victim. Nothing was mentioned to either my mother who didn't understand a word of what my dad was saying to his relatives and friends or to us children, as if the relatives on my father's side had not been aware of their somewhat distant Jewish ancestry.
I'm going to get in contact with the memorial and then report back on the results.
In any event, I'll have to relearn Cyrillic. My grandfather taught me how to write my name using the Cyrillic alphabet, during a visit as I was 11 years old. I've since then forgotten most of it. Refreshing shouldn't be a major problem, though.
(06-24-2021, 05:24 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: ... As far as friendliness is concerned, I'd recommend visiting Gent in the Flemish part of Belgium. Unlike Germany, the Flemish have an open-minded tavern culture, much as the Brits, Dutch and Danes do. ...

Thanks for sharing your research, Alan; it is very interesting. I'm intrigued by this comment. I lived for several years in Flanders and very much enjoyed the tavern culture! While I also spent quite a bit of time in Germany, I guess I did not visit their taverns nearly as much. What are some of the differences you noticed?
The Germans need a reason for attending tavern, first of all, as if it's part of a plan. The Flemish don't. Of course, my impression has been influenced also through tavern visits in areas frequented by tourists there.
German taverns are generally more clanish places where people who know each other attend. In more rural settings, a goup of males will sit at a table, as if it's theirs assigned. They even have a definition for such: "Stammtisch". Women usually don't show up alone, unlike in the other countries mentioned. I suppose, that's not necessarilly the case around foreign military bases, though Dodgy
(06-29-2021, 04:24 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: The Germans need a reason for attending tavern..

Reasons like the England - Germany soccer game for example  Shy
Looks like Yashoda, the psychic elephant from Hamburg, was wrong!
(06-29-2021, 05:02 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 04:24 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: The Germans need a reason for attending tavern..

Watching artificial teams play sports would also drive me to drinking.
Bread and Games is the milleniums old way of diverting public attention away from important issues.
(06-30-2021, 06:16 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 05:02 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:

Watching artificial teams play sports would also drive me to drinking.
Bread and Games is the milleniums old way of diverting public attention away from important issues.

Soccer is THE important issue  Wink ! 

I watched the game yesterday because England - Germany is classic; they both play a similar style and there is a long tradition between the two. I don't care who wins and I'm glad that England as the host made it.
(06-30-2021, 03:36 AM)robrecht Wrote: Looks like Yashoda, the psychic elephant from Hamburg, was wrong!

Maybe she was sick    Sick ??

The world has changed. After all, Switzerland is in the quater-finals for the first time since 1954!