The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Hosea 6:2
Hosea 6:2

He will revive us from the two days, on the third day He will set us up, and we will live before Him.

Rashi's comments:

He will revive us from the two days: He will strengthen us from the two retributions which have passed over us from the two sanctuaries that were destroyed.

on the third day: With the construction of the third Temple, He will set us up. 

from the two days: From the two times that have passed over us.

on the third day: In the third time.

I don't understand Rashi's comments.

What does Judaism teach about this verse?

Thank you.

Moderator Note

I removed the super large font settings from your post and applied a thread prefix. Be aware that large fonts give the impression of shouting. If you need to view fonts larger, use the relative font size button on your browser.

You should have enough acquaintance with Judaism at this point to know that a commentary does not speak for all Jewish voices – even one as revered as Rashi’s.

Rash is giving a non-literal sense to the words, taking them to refer to the three Temples in Jerusalem: two that have been destroyed and one that is yet to come. I don’t think the commentary is absurd. The verse certainly can be interpreted in this way.

Have you read the Ramban’s commentary on Exodus 3 about YHWH going into exile with his people? This is similar.
(01-06-2019, 02:20 PM)Jason Wrote: You should have enough acquaintance with Judaism at this point to know that a commentary does not speak for all Jewish voices – even one as revered as Rashi’s.

Rash is giving a non-literal sense to the words, taking them to refer to the three Temples in Jerusalem: two that have been destroyed and one that is yet to come. I don’t think the commentary is absurd. The verse certainly can be interpreted in this way.

Have you read the Ramban’s commentary on Exodus 3 about YHWH going into exile with his people? This is similar.

No, I haven't read it.

I just wanted to make sure Hosea 6:2 was not about the "general resurrection" of the dead.
(01-06-2019, 02:20 PM)Jason Wrote: You should have enough acquaintance with Judaism at this point to know that a commentary does not speak for all Jewish voices – even one as revered as Rashi’s.

No, I have not read Ramban's commentary on Exodus 3.  I'll look for it.