The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Karaite Conversion
(12-28-2019, 12:27 AM)Chavak Wrote: This is an old article, but it brought about the question of are converts to Karaite Judaism accepted by Reform and Conservative Judaism?  And, are Karaite Jews accepted as Jews, given that (if my memory serves me correctly) they follow patrilineal  descent?

You've asked two separate questions. Let me address your second question first. Yes, Conservative and Reform Judaism accept Karaites as Jews. For anyone interested, I am providing two links, one to the Reform teshuvah on the subject, the other the Conservative.

https://www.ccarnet.org/ccar-responsa/arr-438-440/
https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/sites...004/49.pdf

Both teshuvot were issued at a time when Karaites were not accepting converts and had not done so for centuries. I suspect that a convert to Karaite Judaism would not be accepted as a Jew by the Conservative movement for the same reason some Reform conversions are not accepted by the movement, that the conversion process was not in accordance with traditional halakha. 

I have not seen any recent Reform teshuvah on the subject, nor have I had any conversation with any other Reform rabbis on the issue. Given the extremely small size of the U.S. Karaite community and the relatively recent acceptance of converts, the issue may not have yet presented itself in a real life situation.
בקש שלום ורדפהו

Messages In This Thread
Karaite Conversion - by Chavak - 12-28-2019, 12:27 AM
RE: Karaite Conversion - by Jason - 12-29-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Karaite Conversion - by RabbiO - 01-02-2020, 11:02 PM
RE: Karaite Conversion - by Chavak - 01-05-2020, 03:05 PM