The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Speakers of Yiddish who want to contribute to an online course searched
There is a free online course system that helps people learn to a solid basic level of a vast number of languages, including Hebrew. It is called Duolingo. 

However, they have been working on a course on Yiddish for a few years now, but need additional support to complete it. Does anyone of you speak Yiddish or know anyone who might be interested in helping them? The "call for applications" can be found here, underneath the status info: https://incubator.duolingo.com/courses/yi/en/status
Hello Sarah, thanks for posting this.

Well, it certainly isn't going to be me!

I'm lucky if i know 5 words in Yiddish!

My mother probably knows a lot more, but does not speak it.

Hopefully they'll find someone who does!
Thank you! Yes, I hope so, too. There are a lot of people interested in learning more about this language, me included! Since starting out with Hebrew, I noticed that, as a German native speaker, seeing written Yiddish feels strangely like my mother tongue, just "in Hebrew", if that makes sense. Hearing the spoken words is a wild combination of stretches of complete understanding and others of cryptic sounds. I am very intrigued to understand more about this language. The expressions seem often so affectionate and vivid.
Sarah,

Yes, I think there are many others who feel the same!

Sorry no one else has responded to your post though.

I was hoping for a little more interaction!
Ah, no worries, it hasn't been up for long and chances for a fit are small I think. Just wanted to make their request more visible and increase their odds in case someone capable of joining them might come across this forum.