The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coincidences in the Bible and in Biblical Hebrew
Just looking at it from top to bottom...

Yes, the gematria of הריון "pregnancy" is 271. Like the author says, it isn't a fixed number and only falls within a range of days for an average pregnancy. Why would it be half and not the whole period of pregnancy?

Yes, the gematria of שנה "year" is 355, but the number of days in a Hebrew-calendar year changes regularly, since we have leap months added at different intervals. It is not 355 per year as a fixed number.

The word נשף neshef does not mean "midnight." It means "twilight." The word for "midnight" is חצות הלילה chatsot ha-laila.

I don't think the author is being genuine in his attempts to persuade.
Rhys,

Thanks for your response.

Look at pages 148-149  for further detail.

He talks about the 27 bones divided into 3 groups, wrist, palm and hand. He describes the 14 digital bones called phalanx bones and shows a reference to the definition of hand from the Collins Dictionary.
Mr. Jason,

Not sure I follow you on the pregnancy issue.

271 days divided by approximately 29 days in a Hebrew month equals 9 months. How is that only half? Am I misunderstanding something?

For the 355 days in a year, he is basing it on a lunar year. and if I'm not mistaken, the word from the Hebrew bible was written before the current Hebrew calendar was adjusted with a leap month.

I see you didn't comment on the root of the word for ear which means balance.

You are looking for exacts, this is just to show closeness.

And without a doubt, the Haman, Esther, Nuremberg trials relationship is sort of "spooky".
I am looking forward to reading this book to see how exactly he approaches his claims, and how he establishes the correlations. I watched a video of the author talking about the relationship of the numerical values of the Hebrew planet names and their circumference on a log scale, which has been so far the most intriguing connection for me, since it seems to apply to all of them, not a selection. But I also saw that it does not seem to be a straight relation, he does factor another parameter into the equation, I need to read his explanation on this.

Regarding the examples of the hand bones and similar, I also wondered how many *other* numbers there are related to the hand. I mean, if 14 was the only that makes sense, that would be a coincidence indeed, but if there are a variety to choose from it gets less impressive (in this specific example, and as backed up by what you wrote). 

Still, I have to read the original book. Right now, it is just an interesting claim and I am intrigued to see the original statistical methods he applied and to see if it holds up to scientific standards or would indeed be cherry picking (I hope for the former, but facts are facts). The planet claim and the color claim should be helpful in assessing that, either the correlation apply to all (without much number bending), then he has a case, or they apply to only a subset or with some parameter magic, then I'm not so convinced. Either way, thank you for that recommendation! Feels like a detective case.  Smile

Edit: it also opened the question for me how languages and later, letters, did evolve in the first place and how values came into the game. If the connection of letters and values is meaningful, were there values before written language was invented somehow inherently attached to the syllables and phonemes? Did the written letters only continue that tradition or was it more like "ah we need to note down things we count somehow, too, well let's just use the letters we just invented for that, too, and assign values"?
While waiting for the new book to arrive I thought I'd read up some about the author and was impressed enough to download his other book,Words of Wisdom and Experience  (On God, Life, Bible, Biblical Hebrew and...Statistics) for only three dollars.  I love it! On one chapter alone, discussing Numbers 12 (verses 1-16) he departs somewhat from that of the traditional way it has been interpreted and translated.   Titled Divine Justice and Skin-Color Discrimination (Numbers 12)https://haimshore.blog/2019/07/10/divine...umbers-12/

One of the reviews for his book had given him a negative because of the way he interpreted the word for Aluf אלוּף in Proverbs 16:28 as that of Ruler or Leader.  While researching this word including context I discovered an outstanding rebuttal in the comments section directly from the author. The Customer review titled, Author's Knowledge of Biblical Hebrew is Questionable. https://www.amazon.com/Coincidences-Bibl..._2?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=2
I am happy to see this thread brought a little interest to the forum.

No matter what we think about the book, it helps us to look into, investigate, study and come up with our own conclusions.

Of course I don't think every correlation is as solid as others, but nevertheless, it is interesting at the very least.

This is what the sages of long ago did, everyday for hours a day. Of course they didn't have as many distractions as we do in today's modern world!

Thanks for the comments and keep it going!

Smile
(01-31-2020, 11:00 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Rhys,

Thanks for your response.

Look at pages 148-149  for further detail.

He talks about the 27 bones divided into 3 groups, wrist, palm and hand. He describes the 14 digital bones called phalanx bones and shows a reference to the definition of hand from the Collins Dictionary.

The flaw, in the author's reasoning starts, with his definition, of a hand.  It is inaccurate.  It is not wrist, palm and hand.  It is wrist, fingers and the bones in between.  The Collins Dictionary is not a medical dictionary and therefore is not the best choice, as a source, for medical definitions. 

Palm refers to the grasping side, of one's hand.  The opposite side is the dorsal aspect.  The former is for flection and the later is for extension.

I have read one medical source, which does not include the carpal bones (bones of the wrist), in its description, of the bones, of the hand, but  I've never known anyone professionally, who would agree, with that source material.

In my copy, of "Textbook of Anatomy and Physiology", by Anthony and Kolthoff the bones, of the hand are as I have described them, with the added naming, of the carpal bones.

I don't like to put a damper, on this person's book, but at the very least, on this subject his medical information is inaccurate, which adversely affects his conclusion/supposition.
Rhys,

Thanks for your reply.

No damper at all, I'm glad you responded!

I'm always one to listen, understand (try to at least!) and reason.

I would like to contact the author and see how he responds.

Oh, did I forget to mention - Great to have you back!!
I asked Professor Shore about the Hebrew word for midnight on his blog.

As soon as I receive an answer, I'll let you know!

Then I'll ask about the 27/hand, 14/finger correlation and what the medical journals say.
(02-04-2020, 01:57 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Rhys,

Thanks for your reply.

No damper at all, I'm glad you responded!

I'm always one to listen, understand (try to at least!) and reason.

I would like to contact the author and see how he responds.

Oh, did I forget to mention - Great to have you back!!

When one moves away, from technical/medical/scientific terms one's speech/wording, on a given subject becomes less accurate, as any engineer, doctor, nurse, lawyer etc. would agree.  I just wanted, to present medical accuracy, into the conversation.  Fingers are not a hand, but rather a part, a hand.  Palm refers, to a surface area. And so on.

I have always noted your honesty and your fairness, on the fora.  Smile

Thank you, for the kind greeting.