The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis 1
Genesis 1: In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.

According to the Hebrew language should Genesis 1 read: At the beginning or In the beginning?

Thanks.
It's ambiguous. Rashi suggested repointing the text to read "in the beginning of God's creating..." I tend to like it. That would be translated as "when God began to create..."
(02-14-2020, 03:40 AM)Jason Wrote: It's ambiguous. Rashi suggested repointing the text to read "in the beginning of God's creating..." I tend to like it. That would be translated as "when God began to create..."

Thank you.
(02-14-2020, 03:40 AM)Jason Wrote: It's ambiguous. Rashi suggested repointing the text to read "in the beginning of God's creating..." I tend to like it. That would be translated as "when God began to create..."

OK, This is why I asked the question:

My Pastor said:  According to the Hebrew language should Genesis 1 read: At the beginning or In the beginning?

I emailed him and tried to get him to explain.

FINALLY, he answered me and this is what he said:

"I was explaining that Jewish Midrash states that God created twice before the current creation we have. Once with just love and once with just law. Our creation has both."

Jason, do you have any idea what he is talking about?

Thanks.
No, that doesn't ring true to me.
(02-19-2020, 05:41 PM)Jason Wrote: No, that doesn't ring true to me.

Perhaps the pastor is familiar with this midrash from בראשית רבה  -

"Rabbi Judah son of Rabbi Simon said: “Let there be evening” is not written here (talking about the Torah), but “And there was evening” ; hence we know that a time-order existed before this (talking about our current universe). Rabbi Abahu said: This proves that the Holy One, blessed be God, went on creating worlds and destroying them until God created this one, and declared, “This one pleases Me; those did not please Me."
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(02-19-2020, 07:48 PM)RabbiO Wrote:

"Rabbi Judah son of Rabbi Simon said: “Let there be evening” is not written here (talking about the Torah), but “And there was evening” ; hence we know that a time-order existed before this (talking about our current universe). Rabbi Abahu said: This proves that the Holy One, blessed be God, went on creating worlds and destroying them until God created this one, and declared, “This one pleases Me; those did not please Me."

This is what my Pastor was referring to:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Generic/Generic/SendPrint?print=1&type=1&item=22827

I finally got it out of him.

What do you think?

Thanks.
That certainly doesn't come from a plain reading of the Torah text. Just saying.
(02-20-2020, 10:54 AM)Jason Wrote: That certainly doesn't come from a plain reading of the Torah text. Just saying.

So, someone just made it up?
(02-19-2020, 07:48 PM)RabbiO Wrote:

Please explain what midrash means.  Thanks.