The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction: Intro
Shocked 
B”H
Hello everyone, 
My name is Ed and I am interested in converting to Judaism. I am currently making my way through the Tanakh and am reading the daily portion with Rashi. I recently visited my local chabad-lubavitch centre and the Rabbi was very helpful, I have been reading through the books he recommended since. I am exited to meet new people on here. Please say hi.
Thanks 
Ed
Hello Ed and welcome to the forum!

Just to let  you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Thank you for your introduction.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Feel free to share whatever you feel is important to you.

I wish you well on your journey!
(03-09-2020, 09:38 PM)Edj909 Wrote: Hello everyone, 
My name is Ed and I am interested in converting to Judaism. I am currently making my way through the Tanakh and am reading the daily portion with Rashi. I recently visited my local chabad-lubavitch centre and the Rabbi was very helpful, I have been reading through the books he recommended since. I am exited to meet new people on here. Please say hi.
Thanks 
Ed

Welcome to the forum.

How did you come to hook up with Chabad?
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(03-11-2020, 02:15 AM)RabbiO Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 09:38 PM)Edj909 Wrote: Hello everyone, 
Thanks 
Ed

Welcome to the forum.

How did you come to hook up with Chabad?
B”H
Well last year, before I was interested in converting to Judaism, I wanted to learn Yiddish. This is because I came across a video of someone speaking Yiddish and because I can speak German I could understand parts of it. I then wanted to learn Yiddish and a friend recommend I contact Chabad Lubavitch, I never ended up doing so. However, when I got interested in converting, I contacted them.
Ed
Welcome Ed! Is German your native language? How similar to Yiddish is it?
(03-13-2020, 03:30 AM)Chavak Wrote: Welcome Ed! Is German your native language? How similar to Yiddish is it?
B”H
Thank you, German is not my native language however I have managed to achieve a high level through studying over the past 4 years. I would say that i can understand about 60% of Yiddish for the most part just the pronunciation is different, i have heard however that Native speakers of Yiddish can understand German than people who speak German and are listening to Yiddish. This is probably because Yiddish has may words not of germanic origin and instead of Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and Ladino orginins. 
Thanks 
Ed
What sparked your interest in converting to Judaism?

How much do you know about Judaism in general and how much do you know about the other movements within Judaism?

(Full disclosure: As most of the forum members know, I am a rabbi, but I am not Orthodox.)
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(03-13-2020, 07:30 PM)RabbiO Wrote: What sparked your interest in converting to Judaism?

How much do you know about Judaism in general and how much do you know about the other movements within Judaism?

(Full disclosure: As most of the forum members know, I am a rabbi, but I am not Orthodox.)

B”H 
My interest started with wanting to learn Yiddish, and from there I was so interested in the lyrics I started researching what they were about and then Judaism in general. I know the basics of he mitzvot and also about other traditions. I have read the Torah (written) and am making my through books on Jewish law, i.e Kitzur Schulchan Archuch.
I am aware of the other denominations outside of the orthodox ones (such as Reform, Conservative and Reconstructionist) although I am only interested in converting via the orthodox authorities in the UK (where I live) and therefore I am primarily interested in orthodox branches of Judaism and particularly Chassidism. 
Ed
(03-14-2020, 07:51 PM)Edj909 Wrote:
I am aware of the other denominations outside of the orthodox ones (such as Reform, Conservative and Reconstructionist) although I am only interested in converting via the orthodox authorities in the UK (where I live) and therefore I am primarily interested in orthodox branches of Judaism and particularly Chassidism. 
Ed

Are you going to be working with Chabad? In the US it seems Chabad does not actually do conversions but they do work with converts and refer them to another source for the actual conversion itself. Is it the same way in the UK?
(03-16-2020, 01:59 PM)Chavak Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 07:51 PM)Edj909 Wrote:
Ed

Are you going to be working with Chabad? In the US it seems Chabad does not actually do conversions but they do work with converts and refer them to another source for the actual conversion itself. Is it the same way in the UK?

Yes it its, the United Synagogue, which is based in London is the official authority when it comes to orthodox conversion.