The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a Book title.
I have recently started to look at Jewish history and I came across a book on the Internet which I think is called "A History of the Jewish People"  The problem is that I don't think that I copied down information such as the writer and publisher.  I set out below some of what I copied and wonder if you could tell me anything about it.  Regards, Brian M. Leahy
History of the Jewish People.
Jews are one of the most ancient peoples in the world. Jewish history is recorded in the Bible, by historians outside of the Bible, and through archeology. We have more facts about Jewish history than that of any other nation – which we will use to build a timeline to summarize the history of the Jews.
Abraham: The Jewish Family Tree Begins
The timeline starts with Abraham, the founder of the Jewish people, who lived about 2000 BC.  He is even named outside the Bible in ancient clay tablets, dated around 1950 BC in contracts between him and kings in Babylonia.
“The name of Abram – Abu-ramu ‘the exalted father’ – is found in early Babylonian contracts”  AH Sayce. The ‘Higher Criticism’ and the Verdict of the Monuments. 1894 SSPCK  p. 159
Welcome to the forum Brian.

Just to let you know the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.
(03-31-2020, 09:44 AM)BML Wrote: I have recently started to look at Jewish history and I came across a book on the Internet which I think is called "A History of the Jewish People"  The problem is that I don't think that I copied down information such as the writer and publisher.  I set out below some of what I copied and wonder if you could tell me anything about it.  Regards, Brian M. Leahy
Looks like you'e quoting this website -
https://en.shalomfromg-d.net/2016/12/23/...sh-people/
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Many many thanks for your help which I'm sure will help me to be more effective in my note taking.  A supplementary question.  What is the reason for the way you spell, "G-d 

My best wishes Brian

Shalom from G-d – English
(03-31-2020, 04:29 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 09:44 AM)BML Wrote: I have recently started to look at Jewish history and I came across a book on the Internet which I think is called "A History of the Jewish People"  The problem is that I don't think that I copied down information such as the writer and publisher.  I set out below some of what I copied and wonder if you could tell me anything about it.  Regards, Brian M. Leahy
Looks like you'e quoting this website -
https://en.shalomfromg-d.net/2016/12/23/...sh-people/

Yes, and it also is a Christian website, so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the "history".
(03-31-2020, 06:35 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Yes, and it also is a Christian website, so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the "history".

I had not vetted the website. I was going to go back later to take a further look at it. I would have noticed then that it is indeed not a Jewish website.

Thanks for seeing it first and giving the alert. It is obviously a website targeting Jews, selling Jesus. Otherwise it would make no sense to spell "God" as "G-d". It also betrays a certain ignorance because while using "G-d" in the English language version the the site, on the Hebrew language version of the site it has no compunction about spelling out "Elohim", rather than "Elokim" or similar as one might expect.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(03-31-2020, 06:23 PM)BML Wrote: Many many thanks for your help which I'm sure will help me to be more effective in my note taking.  A supplementary question.  What is the reason for the way you spell, "G-d 

My best wishes Brian

Brian,

First off, if you're looking into Jewish history, or if you want to know more about Judaism, go to Jewish websites. Perhaps you could explain why you are looking into Jewish history. Knowing that might enable the folks here to better direct you to websites that might best address your inquiries.

Second, assuming that by "you" you are directing your question regarding the use of "G-d" to Jews, not simply to me, I should point out that Jews are not monolithic in terms of belief or practice. Not all Jews use "G-d" and not under all circumstances.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Quite simply its because of two things. The first reason is what I refer to as, "The Israeli Palestinian question" I use that term in an attempt to be neutral. I have to say that bearing in mind that I have spent a lot of my life studying questions such as, "How did China move from Marxism to Gangsterism in 70 years or so" and, "How can Jihadists justify the atrocities they have carried out?"
Firstly I have to say that the history within the Middle East is not a history that many, if any English schools pay any attention so I have found that looking into the "The Israeli Palestinian question" has been a traumatic awakening especially how the two sides of the debate on this subject within Israel abuse each other. After nearly a year I am still very far from reaching conclusions but I’m getting close.
The second reason is that I simply could not understand the war of words that were launched on Jeremy Corbyn the leader of the British Labour Party accusing him and the Labour Party of Antisemitism without offering any evidence. Antisemitism as far as I can see is another form of racism and as such its against the law yet I could find no examples of the law being used to deal with the matter and strangely enough as soon as the recent election was over with Labour being decimated the attacks ceased.