The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tzniut Modesty & general questions
Judaism can be a complex religion. It really takes a lot of studying before making the final decision to convert. If you get to that point the next step is to speak to a rabbi. Generally they try to dissuade you from converting and turn you away. Unlike Christianity, Judaism does not believe you have to be a Jew in order to be acceptable to G-d. Converting-especially Orthodox-involves making massive changes in your life. You are expected to move to a Jewish area. It takes a minimum of a year- and usually longer- to go through the conversion process. You have to completely change how you live and think. So a rabbi wants to make sure someone is aware of what they are getting into. You have to be persistent and not allow his trying to turn you away dissuade you. I would suggest doing further study, and then try attending classes that local rabbis, synagogues or organizations hold.
Here is your second thread: https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/show...hp?tid=422
I understand. This isn’t something I would make a haste decision on anyways. My brother and I agreed to leave at least a year of just studying before the next steps. Ok thank you.
I posted that because I wasn’t sure it showed up. Thank you very much, I feel better having these answers.
(04-24-2020, 07:24 PM)YosefTribe Wrote: I posted that because I wasn’t sure it showed up. Thank you very much, I feel better having these answers.

no problem, your first three posts are moderated, which is why they didn't show up right away. You should be good to go now.
(04-24-2020, 07:24 PM)YosefTribe Wrote: I posted that because I wasn’t sure it showed up. Thank you very much, I feel better having these answers.

I should have mentioned that customs can vary from community to community. So what holds for one may not hold for another. You would be expected to adopt the traditions and laws of the community you are converting through.
(04-24-2020, 07:21 PM)YosefTribe Wrote: I understand. This isn’t something I would make a haste decision on anyways. My brother and I agreed to leave at least a year of just studying before the next steps. Ok thank you.

yes, it will take at least a year of intensive study to make such a decision...and that is before the conversion process starts which can take 1 to 3 years....or perhaps even more. It is quite involved.
Just to be clear, you cannot just decide on your own that you're going to convert to Judaism. It isn't just a personal decision. The community has to decide to allow you to make that step.

When you convert to Judaism, you become a Jew. It isn't a set of beliefs. It is a way of life. It's a philosophy. It's a history. It's a people.

For this reason, you'll find it impossible to convert to Judaism and remain in a relationship with a Christian partner. Every rabbi (even Reform rabbis) will tell you that it's better for you NOT to convert in such a situation. You can hold beliefs that are similar to Judaism. You can follow Jewish teachings on the Bible and reject Jesus. But converting is not a great option for you (if I understand this as your situation), especially given that you haven't done even the most basic study of Judaism.

When SMR and ChavaK told you above that Jesus is irrelevant to Judaism, it might be stated even in stronger terms. If you maintain any belief in Jesus, stay away from Judaism. People have tried for too long to blur the lines between the religions, to adopt some kind of Jewish persona and continue their belief that Jesus is in heaven doing some kind of intercession or that he was some sort of messiah. No, Jesus wasn't the Messiah. No, Jesus isn't in heaven praying for you. No, you cannot pray to Jesus. Jesus is nothing to Judaism and will only keep you from ever converting.

To be clear, you can believe whatever you believe. No one can tell you what to believe or try to force you to believe one thing or another. However, if you believe anything about Jesus, do not try to bring that into Judaism. Remain what you are. Believe as you believe. Don't pursue Judaism or try to say that you're Jewish without (1) becoming part of a Jewish community and (2) abandoning faith in any "partners" that you might associate with God.
(04-25-2020, 01:39 PM)Jason Wrote: Just to be clear, you cannot just decide on your own that you're going to convert to Judaism. It isn't just a personal decision. The community has to decide to allow you to make that step.

When you convert to Judaism, you become a Jew. It isn't a set of beliefs. It is a way of life. It's a philosophy. It's a history. It's a people.

For this reason, you'll find it impossible to convert to Judaism and remain in a relationship with a Christian partner. Every rabbi (even Reform rabbis) will tell you that it's better for you NOT to convert in such a situation. You can hold beliefs that are similar to Judaism. You can follow Jewish teachings on the Bible and reject Jesus. But converting is not a great option for you (if I understand this as your situation), especially given that you haven't done even the most basic study of Judaism.

When SMR and ChavaK told you above that Jesus is irrelevant to Judaism, it might be stated even in stronger terms. If you maintain any belief in Jesus, stay away from Judaism. People have tried for too long to blur the lines between the religions, to adopt some kind of Jewish persona and continue their belief that Jesus is in heaven doing some kind of intercession or that he was some sort of messiah. No, Jesus wasn't the Messiah. No, Jesus isn't in heaven praying for you. No, you cannot pray to Jesus. Jesus is nothing to Judaism and will only keep you from ever converting.

To be clear, you can believe whatever you believe. No one can tell you what to believe or try to force you to believe one thing or another. However, if you believe anything about Jesus, do not try to bring that into Judaism. Remain what you are. Believe as you believe. Don't pursue Judaism or try to say that you're Jewish without (1) becoming part of a Jewish community and (2) abandoning faith in any "partners" that you might associate with God.

I don’t appreciate being attacked for simply asking questions. I’m a beginner & just started my study and wanted to know the right way to pursue things in the future. I’m aware that’s it’s a people, culture & a whole philosophy in life. I never even stated that I myself was Christian, I didn’t even grow up in that faith but yet you assume you know what type of stranger I am. I’m only guilty of wanting to learn. Yes I have done basic study already since you made another assumption that I didn’t do anything but was confused on a couple of things. You don’t have to be so impertinent towards someone who plainly ASKED questions. I hope you guys do not do this to anyone else who’s eager to learn, that would be a shame because if this is how those in your exclusive communities behave towards possible coverts or those who are curious, then why would anybody want to ever look towards your faith. Especially when you jump to immediately discourage them & make them feel small, throwing empty claims and insults at me as an individual and whatever religion you again assume I’m apart of. People make it hard, not the laws which are set for a reason, or cultural traditions which G-d wanted carried on. I’ll continue going where the Lord leads me. Not what and where any human says I can’t. Perhaps take a break off your high horse, enjoy your day.
And for anyone else who replies, I’m not answering because I don’t want to be apart of this forum. So yes, you will waste your time trying to type up anymore snarky posts to me.