The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jaihare/thehebrewcafe.com/forum/inc/languages/english/replyban.lang.php:1) - Line: 1939 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
[PHP]   errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1939 header
/inc/functions.php 2009 my_setcookie
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 665 mark_thread_read




Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Tzniut Modesty & general questions
#21
I am going to answer anyway, despite the fact you won't see it. Others may.
We are very cautious here. We have people come in all the time under false pretenses when their goal is nothing other than to try to convert us. So when some one comes in asking if we pray to Jesus, it makes us suspicious. And it also indicates someone does not have basic knowledge of Judaism. There is no shame in that, it simply shows that they have a lot more studying to do before they can even consider converting. Also, the statements and questions asked by Jason are all the issues you are going to have to face if and when you decide to convert. A rabbi is going to dig deeply into your motivations, your background, and your knowledge. Converting to Judaism is much more complex than converting to other religions.
So if you change you mind and want to ask questions, you are more than welcome to do so. If not, I wish you well.
Reply
#22
(04-26-2020, 02:09 PM)Chavak wrote: I am going to answer anyway, despite the fact you won't see it. Others may.
We are very cautious here. We have people come in all the time under false pretenses when their goal is nothing other than to try to convert us. So when some one comes in asking if we pray to Jesus, it makes us suspicious. And it also indicates someone does not have basic knowledge of Judaism. There is no shame in that, it simply shows that they have a lot more studying to do before they can even consider converting. Also, the statements and questions asked by Jason are all the issues you are going to have to face if and when you decide to convert. A rabbi is going to dig deeply into your motivations, your background, and your knowledge. Converting to Judaism is much more complex than converting to other religions.
So if you change you mind and want to ask questions, you are more than welcome to do so. If not, I wish you well.

Well said Chava!

I agree 100% and hope everyone understands the decisions we as moderators must make and the circumstances surrounding them.
Reply
#23
(04-26-2020, 02:56 PM)searchinmyroots wrote:
(04-26-2020, 02:09 PM)Chavak wrote: I am going to answer anyway, despite the fact you won't see it. Others may.
We are very cautious here. We have people come in all the time under false pretenses when their goal is nothing other than to try to convert us. So when some one comes in asking if we pray to Jesus, it makes us suspicious. And it also indicates someone does not have basic knowledge of Judaism. There is no shame in that, it simply shows that they have a lot more studying to do before they can even consider converting. Also, the statements and questions asked by Jason are all the issues you are going to have to face if and when you decide to convert. A rabbi is going to dig deeply into your motivations, your background, and your knowledge. Converting to Judaism is much more complex than converting to other religions.
So if you change you mind and want to ask questions, you are more than welcome to do so. If not, I wish you well.

Well said Chava!

I agree 100% and hope everyone understands the decisions we as moderators must make and the circumstances surrounding them.

I most certainly do.  100%!  I have been a member of this forum for enough years only to witness the volume of sneaky posts (Jesus and his many names and roles) playing out and ending by feigning ignorance or acting insulted.

My take. Anyone actually interested in a conversion that would think the forthright answers, provided here on a Jewish forum are "attacks" or offensive in any way is not serious about conversion.

These were not only good answers but helpful for any potential convert, adult enough to handle what is required in a conversion with the different avenues, ranging from Reform to Orthodox.   Anyone claiming to receive a message from G-d, laid upon their heart could not be so thin skinned as to criticize the responses given by the Jewish members of this forum.  Makes me doubt any sincerity.
Reply
#24
(04-26-2020, 07:18 PM)Dana wrote: My take. Anyone actually interested in a conversion that would think the forthright answers, provided here on a Jewish forum are "attacks" or offensive in any way is not serious about conversion.

Absolutely! It's not a bad thing to tell someone that they don't need to convert to Judaism in order to be fulfilled as a person. However, if someone is still asking if praying to/through Jesus is valid, they aren't even close to ready for conversion. I asked her if she participates in a conversion program anywhere, and that's definitely a serious question. You cannot convert to Judaism by thinking through some questions that you find online. You have to do it through a community. If that's offensive, someone has a thin skin. It's not my problem.

(04-26-2020, 07:18 PM)Dana wrote: These were not only good answers but helpful for any potential convert, adult enough to handle what is required in a conversion with the different avenues, ranging from Reform to Orthodox.   Anyone claiming to receive a message from G-d, laid upon their heart could not be so thin skinned as to criticize the responses given by the Jewish members of this forum.  Makes me doubt any sincerity.

I can't believe that you also said thin skinned! LOL - That's exactly what came out of my fingers in response to the above paragraph before getting to your words here!
Reply
#25
(04-25-2020, 01:39 PM)Jason wrote: When you convert to Judaism, you become a Jew. It isn't a set of beliefs. It is a way of life. It's a philosophy. It's a history. It's a people.

For this reason, you'll find it impossible to convert to Judaism and remain in a relationship with a Christian partner. Every rabbi (even Reform rabbis) will tell you that it's better for you NOT to convert in such a situation. 

You have misunderstood, I think, both the Conservative and Reform positions on this issue which are way more nuanced.

This is the most recent Conservative responsum on the subject - https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/sites...verted.pdf

The most recent Reform responsum - https://www.ccarnet.org/responsa-topics/...a-gentile/
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Reply
#26
True - you can go through conversion as long as you've brought your partner in to the point that there is understanding, etc. You can't just say "Oh, I believe in X, Y, and Z precept from the Torah; therefore, I'll convert" without undergoing re-education, without joining a community, without meeting with a rabbi for a long time. The impression I got from the user was that (1) she would continue praying through Jesus, (2) she wouldn't really join a community but just "change her mind and say she was Jewish," (3) she doesn't know anything at all and isn't really interested in changing who she is. I mean, asking us if praying in Jesus' name is acceptable in Judaism? How can we have missed the mark on that question?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)