The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam & Eve: The Whole Story Doesn't Make Sense - until now
(05-10-2020, 04:28 PM)robrecht Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 01:03 AM)Dana Wrote: However, it has never made sense to me why G-d did not name the woman as He did for the man. Why is that role given to Adam? 
(05-10-2020, 12:27 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I'm not sure I find where G-d named Adam though?

He does, but not where or how we might expect. Given the obvious importance of naming the items created on each day in Genesis 1, to all the animals in Genesis 2, the naming of 'woman' in 2,23, Eve in 3,20, Cain (& Abel) in 4,1-2, it is indeed remarkable that 'adam is not named when created on the sixth day; the actual naming of 'adam does not occur until Gen 5,2, where in language similar to Genesis 1 it refers not to the first man, but refers explicitly to the couple, male and female, which is given the name ‘humankind’ (אדם 'adam)  The only place in the Hebrew consonantal text where אדם ('adam) practically needs to be considered an actual name is in Gen 4,25 and 5,3-5. Everywhere else one can, I think better, translate 'the human' or 'the person'. Thus one need not obscure the symbolic or archetypical language that refers not to an individual male named Adam, but to the first couple or the first unnamed person in a way that is representative of our collective identity as humankind. Perhaps whoever joined the accounts of Genesis 1-4, with the genealogies and other early stories of Genesis and other beginnings (toledot), was the first to think of the first human as a person named Adam.  It is interesting to note where various translations, beginning with the Greek Septuagint, choose to transliterate or translate 'adam as a name.

Thank you Robrecht for the added insight!  I found it interesting reading through those verses and noticing the change in language, pertaining to Adam, from a collective idea to the singular person for the first time.  

Chapter 1,27 the Hebrew sentence introduces man in the singular and then male and female with the plural direct object. Singular and then plural in just one sentence seemed like a lot of information mixed together.   And in that chapter the dialogue (or instructions) following with G-d is in the plural,  for both the man and woman.  Something new to my eyes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adam & Eve: The Whole Story Doesn't Make Sense - until now - by Dana - 05-10-2020, 10:47 PM