The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting in touch with my roots
Hi everybody,

I've recently decided that I want to get in touch with my roots, it's been something that has been in the back of my mind for a long time but due to recently getting married and the prospect of children on the horizon I've realised that I don't want my children to grow up not knowing anything about the Jewish side of their history. Like I did.

My mothers family was Orthodox Jewish, although my grandparents died before I got to know them, my mother has never indicated any interest in Judaism, never talked about it and only ever shut down my previous attempts to start any conversation about it. I get the feeling that there is some bad blood there but I don't really know any details. My mother has always had a rebelious nature, a typical 60/70's hippie type. I was brought up in a completely areligious environment although for some reason she was insistent that I be circumsised at birth, which is uncommon for the country I grew up in.

So, with the recent developments in my life, I've decided I don't want my children to miss out on the rich history and culture that I was never able to be a part of growing up. I guess I'm hoping to find help in finding a direction for learning more about Judaism and the culture, there is a lot of information and I'm unsure where to start. I did consider going to the only Orthodx synagogue in my country but that feels very intimidating, so I thought I'd try online communities first to get my bearings.

Sorry for the essay, but I guess I wanted to provide some context to why I'm here. I look forward to getting to know you all in the near future Big Grin
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Thanks for sharing your story an interesting one at that!

I don't think you should be intimidated about going to the synagogue. You can even call ahead of time and let them know exactly what you told us, that you are interested in exploring Judaism.

We are happy to try and answer any questions you might have to help you on your journey.
Welcome to the forum. I agree with SMR, don't feel intimidated about going to the synagogue. I would also suggest calling ahead and telling them your story. They should be able to line someone up to sit with you during the service. Is there a Chabad near you? They are everywhere so probably a good chance one is near. If so, contact the rabbi. They are a great resource.
this project is just in the formation stage, but you might want to book mark it for future reference, or if you have any questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj-KhOaNHFc&feature=youtu.be
I recently went on a roots-discovery journey as well, and spent over a year living with an Orthodox family in the local Jewish community. I attended synagogue with them on many occasions and learned as much as I could about Judaism both from the community and in college. I have to say, just walking into a synagogue, especially an Orthodox one, is intimidating if you don't have a friend with you. Definitely call them and let them know you're coming so they can give you a tour/guide. Its worth it!

If you have any questions about the process, just ask. I'm pursuing formal conversion through a Conservative synagogue at this time, even though I find myself more comfortable among the Orthodox. I have my reasons for this, and I'm comfortable with the decision, but the process is already familiar to me.

Good luck!