The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: Transcription of האובליסק?
Hello everyone,

I hope I have found the right forum and category to place my question. I am writing on an essay about obelisks and as a part of it, I am talking about how obelisks are called in different old and new languages. I know that obelisks were called differentely in biblical Hebrew than today. In biblical Hebrew, obelisks were called מַצֵּבָה and today, 'obelisk' is translated as האובליסק by the online translator Glosbe.com. 
My problem is that I cannot read the Hebrew writing and so I can't understand what the words really mean. It would help me a lot to have a transcription of the words in latin letters and I hope that someone in this forum can help me with that.  

Thank you very much for you help!  Smile

Kind regards
Azalu
Hello Azalu and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

We have a Hebrew language expert on the forum who should be able to answer your question.
(08-12-2020, 09:17 AM)Azalu Wrote: Hello everyone,

I hope I have found the right forum and category to place my question. I am writing on an essay about obelisks and as a part of it, I am talking about how obelisks are called in different old and new languages. I know that obelisks were called differentely in biblical Hebrew than today. In biblical Hebrew, obelisks were called מַצֵּבָה and today, 'obelisk' is translated as האובליסק by the online translator Glosbe.com. 
My problem is that I cannot read the Hebrew writing and so I can't understand what the words really mean. It would help me a lot to have a transcription of the words in latin letters and I hope that someone in this forum can help me with that.  

Kind regards
Azalu

Basically, the word used in the Tanakh actually has a more generic meaning as simply a pillar. That pillar could sometimes be an obelisk, but not necessarily so. The word in modern Hebrew is actually a transliteration of the word obelisk.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(08-12-2020, 03:13 PM)RabbiO Wrote:

Kind regards
Azalu

Basically, the word used in the Tanakh actually has a more generic meaning as simply a pillar. That pillar could sometimes be an obelisk, but not necessarily so. The word in modern Hebrew is actually a transliteration of the word obelisk.

Thank you a lot for your quick response  Big Grin  Your answer has helped me a lot!

Kind regards
Azalu
My knowledge of hebrew is _very_ limited, but here I see a word I recognize: the word ה that is the definite article "the". Since that word was not in the original English I would not trust Glosbe.com translations.

Kind regards
Azalu

And then for my third, and last, moderated post: אובליסק is not an original hebrew word. It is just the english word obelisk translated in hebrew letters.
(08-13-2020, 04:43 AM)Azalu Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 03:13 PM)RabbiO Wrote:

Kind regards
Azalu

Thank you a lot for your quick response  Big Grin  Your answer has helped me a lot!
Oh and the transcription of מַצֵּבָה is matzbah or matzvah, I am not sure. The a's are different but don't ask me what the difference is. I leave that to the experts.

Kind regards
Azalu

I have a hebrew dictionary with transliteration and in the dictionary is transliterated "obelisc".