The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1492 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1492 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1638 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1585 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1585 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1492 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1585 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Psychology Of The Mind - Soulmates, Dating & Relationships
Video 
Recently found out these lectures, they are really eye-opening and thought-provoking. Really recommend listening to these. (btw. I am new to this forum, non-jew)

Hello Robis and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Thanks for the video!
(09-01-2020, 06:30 PM)Robis Wrote: Recently found out these lectures, they are really eye-opening and thought-provoking. Really recommend listening to these. (btw. I am new to this forum, non-jew)

I would tell you what I think of Yosef Mizrachi, but my words would probably not meet the standards of this forum. Mizrachi was among those who, on the mistaken belief that a brit milah ceremony for a gay couple was taking place in the Pittsburgh synagogue when the horrific shooting began, declared that the shooting occurred because of the sin of the congregation.

To my mind he belongs on the dung heap with those Haredi rabbis who have opined that the Shoah was G-d’s angry response to either the Jewish embrace of Zionism or the embrace of Reform Judaism.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(09-02-2020, 05:11 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 06:30 PM)Robis Wrote: Recently found out these lectures, they are really eye-opening and thought-provoking. Really recommend listening to these. (btw. I am new to this forum, non-jew)

I would tell you what I think of Yosef Mizrachi, but my words would probably not meet the standards of this forum. Mizrachi was among those who, on the mistaken belief that a brit milah ceremony for a gay couple was taking place in the Pittsburgh synagogue when the horrific shooting began, declared that the shooting occurred because of the sin of the congregation.

To my mind he belongs on the dung heap with those Haredi rabbis who have opined that the Shoah was G-d’s angry response to either the Jewish embrace of Zionism or the embrace of Reform Judaism.

Well, I can't be a judge of why Shoah happened, but as we read this weekly parashah, we see, that if Israel strays away from Hashem, then Shoah comes. And before Shoah came, Israel wasn't at it's best point, as far as we know, not to speak about tzadikim.

We have to tolerate opinions and have to seek love and stop hating each other (if it's not a matter of purposeful heresy). Otherwise, the result, chas v'shalom, could be the same as all the previous times. I, as a non-jew really struggle with this problem too, because I have people around me, who can't see as much as, as I think, I see. It's really tempting to get into arguments (but the fire gets bigger and bigger), but I think we need to focus on things, that are more important - getting along with each other, being patient with each other, forsaking our pride, because we all the time see others lower and put ourselves higher (I'm speaking generally). Always keeping balance of course.
Blaming plagues and deaths on ungodliness is just a way to try to scare people into religious observance. "If you don't practice Torah, God will punish the whole world!" It's an ad hoc excuse that is designed to control people. It is not true. This is why people blame it on things that they don't like. I could just as aptly say that God brought Hurricane Katrina because people refuse to educate themselves. Lack of education and people remaining willfully ignorant really pisses God off, and he punishes the nation for our lack of academic motivation. See how that works? Oh, and the Coronavirus made its appearance in punishment for the world's racism, obviously.
(09-02-2020, 05:32 PM)Robis Wrote: We have to tolerate opinions and have to seek love and stop hating each other (if it's not a matter of purposeful heresy). Otherwise, the result, chas v'shalom, could be the same as all the previous times. I, as a non-jew really struggle with this problem too, because I have people around me, who can't see as much as, as I think, I see. It's really tempting to get into arguments (but the fire gets bigger and bigger), but I think we need to focus on things, that are more important - getting along with each other, being patient with each other, forsaking our pride, because we all the time see others lower and put ourselves higher (I'm speaking generally). Always keeping balance of course.

Please, as a non-Jew, do not begin to have the chutzpah to ever attempt to tell me how to be a Jew, how to act as a Jew. 

You sound like like you are open to the thought that the Shoah occurred because G-d was angry that Jews were embracing Zionism. You sound like you might be open to the idea that G-d allowed 6 million Jews to be slaughtered because G-d was angry that Jews were joining the Reform movement. You sound like you would be willing to accept the idea that G-d would condone the slaughtering of the members of a congregation that would hold a brit milah ceremony for a gay couple.

If that is the case, then you and I are not going to have a lot to say to one another.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
People who believe in God blaspheme; sometimes it is only the atheists and agnostics who defend his honor.
Well, first of all, I apologize, if I offended anyone, that was not my intention at all. But you do believe in midot neged midot, and in Divine punishment and reward?
Also regarding Shoah, it's not "an idea", that Hashem, can allow the slaughtering Jews, if they go of the derech (i'm speaking about sinning, not accepting Zionism etc.), it's written plain text in this weekly reading.

Parashah Ki Tavo, perek כח pasuk טו; where it speaks about curses, והיה אם־לא תשמע בקול.
All the things about plagues, parents eating their children, enemies killing etc. History multiple times shows, that Hashem did not joke around when he gave this weekly parashah.

You can't ignore what Hashem is speaking here. Of course, every single man has a choice, if to be against Jews or for Jews, and they get what they choose. But Hashem is using those, who chose to be against as a punishment.

Pasuk סג:
It will be, just like Hashem rejoiced over you to be good to you and to multiply you, so too Hashem will rejoice over you to make you perish and to destroy you, and you will be uprooted from on the land to which you come to possess it.

I'm not saying that Jews are cursed, chas v'shalom, but I'm just saying, that if anyone transgresses the brit of Hashem, punishment comes so that we could do teshuva. Same thing with non-jews if they transgress Noahide laws. I really love Jews and Hashem, and I would give my life for saving Jews.

If you do not believe, that Hashem can and does punish for sinning, then I have no idea, where I am right now, because you are just plainly denying Torah then, no offense.
(09-03-2020, 03:27 AM)Robis Wrote: If you do not believe, that Hashem can and does punish for sinning, then I have no idea, where I am right now, because you are just plainly denying Torah then, no offense.

Numbers 5 contains instructions for making a woman drink bitter water that brings a curse to test whether or not she has been unfaithful to her husband can be accused of adultery. It strikes more of some sort of primitive witchcraft than it does of solid reasoning, and it reminds one of the drinking of the "water of life" in Frank Herbert's Dune. Must I accept these instructions as God-given rather than as a product of their time and place? Must I accept every word and every story in the Torah in order to be a good Jew, in your opinion? If that's the case, then I'm not a good Jew. There are plenty of things in the Torah that I think are contrary to good sense and contrary to fact.
(09-03-2020, 06:24 AM)Jason Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 03:27 AM)Robis Wrote: If you do not believe, that Hashem can and does punish for sinning, then I have no idea, where I am right now, because you are just plainly denying Torah then, no offense.

Numbers 5 contains instructions for making a woman drink bitter water that brings a curse to test whether or not she has been unfaithful to her husband can be accused of adultery. It strikes more of some sort of primitive witchcraft than it does of solid reasoning, and it reminds one of the drinking of the "water of life" in Frank Herbert's Dune. Must I accept these instructions as God-given rather than as a product of their time and place? Must I accept every word and every story in the Torah in order to be a good Jew, in your opinion? If that's the case, then I'm not a good Jew. There are plenty of things in the Torah that I think are contrary to good sense and contrary to fact.

Interesting.
What are your opinions on homosexuality?